Explosions at one of Britain's largest oil depots jolted an area north of London early yesterday, hurling balls of fire skyward, shattering windows and blanketing nearby houses with smoke.
The blasts appeared to be accidental. Thirty-six people were injured, four seriously, police said.
Explosions were expected to continue for several hours at the depot, which stores 16 million liters of fuel, police said.
"It's big and it's going to burn for some time," said Frank Whiteley, chief constable of Hertfordshire Police. "But it is under control."
There was nothing to indicate the blasts were acts of terrorism, police said, although the al-Qaeda terror network and other terrorist groups have threatened to target fuel deposits. Britain has been on edge since the July 7 London transit bombings, which killed 56 people including four suicide bombers, and a failed attack on July 21.
Some residents reported hearing an aircraft flying low overhead shortly before the first explosion at around 6am but police said there was no evidence of a plane crash. Nearby Luton Airport remained open and flights were operating normally.
"All indications at this stage are that this was an accident," Whiteley said. "However, clearly we will keep an open mind, as with all investigations, until we can confirm that for certain."
Firefighters planned to use foam to stop the blaze spreading across the 450m by 850m depot and adjacent industrial park. The 20 blazing tanks were being allowed to burn themselves out while about 100 firefighters and 100 police officers stood watch at the site.
"It's a controlled burn," said Jane Vine, a spokeswoman for the local county council.
Emergency workers wearing masks cordoned off the area around the Buncefield Oil Terminal, near the town of Hemel Hempstead. Authorities evacuated residents as the plume moved slowly eastward.
Whiteley cautioned that the cloud contained irritants that could cause coughs and nausea. People in the path of the smoke should stay indoors, he said.
Residents in Hemel Hempstead reported a loud boom and some felt their houses shake. The blast was so large it was felt throughout a large part of southeast England including London, 40km away.
"Around 6am, as we were sleeping, there was a mighty explosion -- a thunderclap that woke me up," said Neil Spencer, 42, who lives about 1 1/2km from the terminal. "It was fireball after fireball -- truly amazing."
The area around the fuel depot was being evacuated. Police said many roads and highways had been closed.
Taipei on Friday rejected Hanoi’s characterization of its recent live-fire drill near Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島) as “illegal,” saying that Taiwan’s claim to the small island in the South China Sea was “unquestionable.” The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said in a statement that the comments made by its Vietnamese counterpart about the military’s routine live-fire drills near Itu Aba on Tuesday were “unacceptable.” Earlier on Friday, Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Le Thi Thu Hang called Taiwan’s military activity “a serious violation of Vietnam’s territorial sovereignty,” saying it had caused tensions and complicated the situation in the region. Hang
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) yesterday said it is more than doubling its US investment to US$40 billion as it plans to make 3-nanometer chips in 2026 at a second Arizona fab, adding to the chipmaker’s original plan of building a US$12 billion fab to make 4-nanometer chips in 2024. The investment would mark the largest foreign direct investment in Arizona’s history and one of the largest foreign direct investments in the history of the US, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement yesterday. In addition to the more than 10,000 construction workers at the site, TSMC’s two fabs
ENHANCEMENT: The sale would update Taiwan’s Patriot missile system to improve its missile defensive capability and deter threats, the US Department of State said The US has proposed selling Taiwan as many as 100 of its most advanced Patriot air-defense missiles along with radar and support equipment in a deal valued at US$882 million, according to a US Department of State notice obtained by Bloomberg News. The proposal was made under the provisions of a 2010 sale and so technically is not new. It is classified as an enhancement to the earlier deal, with a potential total value of US$2.81 billion. The upgrade would not change the overall value of that deal, which infuriated Beijing at the time and led it to halt planned military exchanges
‘UNITED FRONT’ TOOL? There are already many accounts on Douyin impersonating government agencies, and even Premier Su Tseng-chang, DPP Legislator Mark Ho said Lawmakers and a number of experts yesterday called on the government to ban or heavily regulate Douyin (抖音) over concerns that the short-video platform could be used by China to spread disinformation. Owned by ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動), Douyin and its international version, TikTok, are a subject of concern in democracies worldwide because of potential manipulation by the Chinese government. FBI Director Chris Wray on Friday said that Beijing might have the ability to control TikTok’s recommendation algorithm, “which allows them to manipulate content, and if they want to, to use it for influence operations.” TikTok could also be used to collect personal data