A leading lawyers' organization yesterday attacked Hong Kong's new political leader for steamrolling measures past lawmakers that give police sweeping powers to secretly intercept private phone calls.
The Bar Association said Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang (曾蔭權) had acted outside his remit and damaged basic human rights in the Chinese city by invoking a rarely used executive order to push through the controversial measures on Friday.
"The Bar is of the view that the chief executive ... cannot ... assert a power to authorize covert surveillance when such surveillance may infringe the fundamental rights of residents," it said in a strongly worded statement.
"The Bar is very disappointed that the chief executive did not seek to address the matter through legislation," the statement said.
SECRET WIRETAPS
Tsang forced through the measures on Friday after a number of high-profile corruption cases collapsed because evidence obtained by secret wiretaps was dismissed and the practice ruled unconstitutional.
Lawyers say the new measures provide few safeguards as officers need only the permission of their superiors, and not a court, to tap private phone lines.
They also complain that the measures do not restrict the use of material that has been obtained through wire taps to only criminal inquiries.
It raised alarm bells in Hong Kong, where Tsang has been accused -- like his bosses in China -- of taking a tough line on free speech.
HEAVY-HANDED
The accusations stem from the heavy-handed treatment of the public broadcaster RTHK, which has prompted concerns among some for the station's editorial independence.
Chief Secretary Rafael Hui (
"We hope the Bar Association can give us some suggestions. If we don't issue this order, then what other ways, during this transitional period, can we use to continue enabling law enforcement authorities to fulfil their responsibilities to investigate [crimes]?" he said.
Justice Secretary Elsie Leung (梁愛詩) insisted the new measure was legal and said she would meet with lawyers in the next few days to discuss it with them.
The executive order has only ever been used once before, in 1997, when it was invoked to give the chief executive the power to hire or remove civil servants.
DROP IN POPULARITY
Meanwhile, Tsang's popularity has seen a steep drop in the past two weeks, a survey released yesterday showed.
The former civil-service head took office with his routinely high popularity rating nudging 80 percent.
However, the survey last week by the University of Hong Kong found his support level had slipped 6 percentage points to 66 percent of the 1,015 people polled.
"Tsang's honeymoon period is over," author Robert Chung (鍾庭耀) said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary