Haiti's premier warned of an impending coup amid fears that an uprising may have reached Haiti's second city, Cap-Haitien.
Prime Minister Yvon Neptune appealed for international aid, but the US and France express reluctance to send troops to put down the rebellion that has killed at least 57 people.
Police and armed supporters of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide mounted barricades and patrolled the streets of Cap-Haitien on Haiti's north coast on Tuesday. Flights to that city -- already cut off by land -- were canceled.
PHOTO: AFP
"We are witnessing the coup d'etat machine in motion," Neptune said, urging the international community "to show it really wants peace and stability."
Aid agencies called for urgent international action, saying Haiti is on "the verge of a generalized civil war." The UN refugee agency met with officials in Washington to discuss how to confront a feared exodus of Haitians, though there are no immediate signs of people fleeing.
In Gonaives, rebels fired shots into the air to prevent crowds of hungry residents from stampeding several trucks loaded with food -- lentils and millet -- brought by the aid agency CARE. Film from Associated Television news showed one woman trampled in the melee. She was taken to a hospital for treatment.
The food was the first shipment to reach Gonaives, Haiti's fourth largest city, since it was taken by rebels who began the revolt Feb. 5.
The brutality of the insurrection was on display in the central city of Hinche, where the bullet-riddled body of a policeman lay, unburied and rotting, outside the local police station.
Hinche, at a strategic crossroads in Haiti's agriculture-rich Artibonite district, was seized Monday by some 50 rebels reportedly led by former death squad leader Louis-Jodel Chamblain. It is only 115km northeast of Port-au-Prince but can take more than three hours to reach on potholed roads depreciated to bedrock.
"If the bodyguards of the police chief hadn't fought back he wouldn't have been killed," resident Francoise Joseph told APTN, saying other police were allowed to leave.
Meanwhile, the EU appealed yesterday for government and opposition forces in Haiti to stop violence and seek a political solution to the crisis.
"The European Union strongly believes that the present crisis in Haiti must be resolved peacefully, by seeking dialogue and compromise," the bloc said in a statement. "All constitutional solutions should be considered."
It called on "all political forces, without exception, to refrain from any kind of violent behavior."
The EU singled out supporters of Aristide for breaking up opposition demonstrations.
"The European Union deplores yet further instances of armed gangs disrupting peaceful demonstrations on Feb. 12 and Feb. 15," the statement said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats