The US and the UN ignored warnings from a secret Taliban emissary weeks before Sept. 11 last year that Osama bin Laden was planning a huge attack on the US, a British daily reported yesterday.
The warnings were delivered by an aide of Wakil Ahmed Muttawakil, the Taliban Foreign Minister at the time, who was known to be unhappy with foreign militants in Afghanistan such as bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, The Independent newspaper said.
Muttawakil, now reportedly in American custody, believed the Taliban regime's protection of bin Laden and the other militants would lead to the destruction of Afghanistan by the US military, the newspaper said, quoting the aide.
The foreign minister then ordered his official to alert the US and the UN about what was going to happen.
But in a massive failure of intelligence, the message was disregarded because of what sources described as "warning fatigue," the British daily said.
Muttawakil's aide, who wanted to remain anonymous, told The Independent that the minister learnt in July last year that bin Laden was planning a "huge attack" on targets inside the US.
Muttawakil found out about the coming attacks from the leader of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, Tahir Yildash, the British paper said.
The organization was one of the fundamentalist groups that had found refuge on Afghan soil, lending fighters for the Taliban regime's war on the Northern Alliance opposition, and had good relations with al-Qaeda.
The aide went first to the Americans, traveling across the border to meet the US consul general in the Pakistani border town of Peshawar, in the third week of July last year.
The Afghan aide did not, however, reveal that the warning was from Muttawakil, rather than his own message, a factor that might have led the Americans to downgrade it, The Independent said.
When Muttawakil's emissary returned to Kabul, the foreign minister told him to see UN officials.
He took the warning to the Kabul offices of UNSMA, the political wing of the UN. The officials heard him out, but did not report the secret Taliban warning to UN headquarters, the paper reported.
HIGH-RISK GROUP: After the latest outbreak, family members of workers exposed to infection would from tomorrow be eligible for government-funded vaccines The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported four local COVID-19 cases: three family members of an infected worker at a quarantine hotel and a family member of an infected pilot. The new cases bring the number of infections involving China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) pilots and the Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport hotel, where many of the airline’s crew members quarantined, to 24. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said three of them are the husband, son and daughter of case No. 1,129, a woman in her 60s, who works at the hotel. The son is in
NEXT STEP? The contract chipmaker said it would decide whether to add more plants based on operation efficiency, cost economics and demand Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is planning to build several more chipmaking fabs in the US state of Arizona beyond the one already planned, three people familiar with the matter said. TSMC, the world’s largest contract chipmaker, announced in May last year that it would build a US$12 billion fab in Arizona. The 12-inch wafer fab in Phoenix is expected to start mass production in 2024, the Investment Commission said in December, when it approved the plan. Three sources familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to speak to the media, said that up
VIRUS CURBS: Visiting people staying at healthcare and long-term care facilities in Taipei, New Taipei City and Taoyuan is banned until May 17, the CECC announced The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday banned visits to patients or residents at healthcare and long-term care facilities in three cities until May 17. It also reported six imported cases of COVID-19 and two cases with unclear infection sources. As the number of locally transmitted cases rises, some of whom have visited many places in Taipei, New Taipei City and Taoyuan, enhanced disease prevention measures have to be implemented in the three cities, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. “Visiting people staying at healthcare and long-term care facilities in Taipei, New Taipei City and
TAKING NOTICE: In the first time that G7 foreign ministers have mentioned Taiwan in a joint communique, they called for ‘peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait’ The Presidential Office yesterday thanked the G7 foreign ministers for their strong support of Taiwan after the group in its joint statement on Wednesday called for the nation’s participation in the WHO, and the importance of peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait. The ministers in a communique issued at the end of their three-day meeting declared support for “Taiwan’s meaningful participation” in WHO forums and the World Health Assembly (WHA). “The international community should be able to benefit from the experience of all partners, including Taiwan’s successful contribution to the tackling of the COVID-19 pandemic,” it said. The statement included a section