Pope John Paul, addressing his largest crowd ever in Poland, said yesterday only God would decide if he could return home again and warned that the new millennium was threatened by an onslaught of evil.
Preaching to an estimated 2.7 million people packed in and around Krakow's Blonia meadow the Pope, 82, showed that age and a string of health problems had not dimmed his spirit. Despite the heat and his heavy liturgical vestments, he completed a three-hour ceremony and responded to chants from his adoring countryfolk with the wit and the timing of an actor.
"I want to thank [Krakow] for the hospitality and I would also like to add `see you again' but I leave this completely in God's hands," he said, improvising at the end of the mass.
PHOTO: AP
The Pope's message in his sermon was a somber warning about a future where a lack of respect for life was leading the world to destruction.
"Man lives in fear of the future, of emptiness, of suffering and annihilation," said the Pope, who during his four-day trip has offered a message of divine comfort to a world still shaken by the Sept. 11 attacks on the US.
A prayer read during the mass asked God to heal "the sorrow of nations in the darkness of wars and the suffering of people who are threatened with hunger and terrorism."
The leader of the world's 1 billion Roman Catholics has used his ninth trip home to console the poor and jobless in Poland, which is suffering a harsh economic crisis.
He has received a rapturous welcome from his countryfolk, who revere him as a father figure who inspired their resistance to communism and steadied them in the difficult years of the transition to democracy after they won freedom in 1989.
"We have been waiting here since Friday. He is the only Pole we can believe and trust," said Isabella Wrobel, 21, from Warsaw, sitting amid the sea of people. "I would do anything for him, sleeping on this field for two nights is nothing."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats