Telecommunications giant WorldCom -- faced with a mountain of debt and a growing scandal over accounting irregularities -- filed for bankruptcy protection in the largest corporate failure in US history.
WorldCom filed for protection under Chapter 11 of the US bankruptcy code, which allows it to continue operating while it works out a plan to pay its debts.
"Chapter 11 enables us to create the greatest possible value for our creditors, preserve jobs for our employees, continue to deliver top-quality service to our customers and maintain our role in America's national security," WorldCom president and chief executive officer John Sidgmore said in a statement.
"We will use this time under reorganization to regain our financial health and focus, while operating with the highest integrity. We will emerge from Chapter 11 as quickly as possible and with our competitive spirit intact," Sidgmore said.
Sidgmore has planned a press conference at 9am yesterday in New York hotel to discuss the bankruptcy filing by the Clinton, Mississippi-based company.
WorldCom, the nation's second-largest long-distance telephone service provider, admitted in late June it had improperly accounted for US$3.9 billion in operating expenses over more than a year to hide losses.
Phone and Internet service to the company's more than 20 million customers is expected to continue uninterrupted, officials said.
The filing, which followed a meeting of company directors, would far eclipse the December 2001 collapse of energy trading giant Enron.
In the bankruptcy petition, WorldCom listed assets of US$107 billion as of March 31, against debts of US$41 billion.
By comparison, Enron listed US$63.4 billion in assets when it sought bankruptcy protection in December, sinking in a morass of accounting scandals.
Proper accounting would have forced WorldCom to report a net loss last year and for the first quarter of this year, the company admitted in late June.
Instead, WorldCom claimed profits of US$1.4 billion last year and US$130 million for the first quarter of this year. Final numbers for those five quarters are awaiting another audit.
The company intends to restructure its debt, sell off non-core assets and focus on key businesses, the Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition.
In connection with the bankruptcy filing, WorldCom, MCI and their affiliates announced they have received up to US$2 billion in new secured financing from JPMorganChase Bank, Citibank, and GE Capital Corp.
Together with cash generated from ongoing operations, the funds will be more than sufficient to restructure and emerge from bankruptcy intact, the companies reassured the public.
"Our time frame is to be through the bankruptcy process in nine to 12 months," said WorldCom spokesman Brad Burns.
Sidgmore warned earlier that his company's survival is in the public interest and a matter of "national security," noting that his company "plays an important role in America's telecommunications infrastructure," with some 20 million telephone customers, and is the largest Internet carrier in the world.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats