Minister of Education (MOE) Cheng Ying-yao (鄭英耀) last week announced that the Sports Administration would ask the about 3,800 public schools below college level to take an inventory of their sports equipment and offer some of them for public use outside school hours within two weeks. The next day, the ministry abruptly announced that the policy was “well-intended,” but could easily cause “misunderstanding,” so it would re-evaluate the policy and communicate further with schools.
Cheng said the measure would give residents free access to basketballs, volleyballs and other sports equipment, and would help promote the government’s “fitness for all” policy. However, it immediately sparked a backlash from schools. Junior-high and elementary-school teachers are already facing a multitude of complaints from parents and a heavy administrative workload, among other overwhelming work demands, the National Federation of Education Unions said. Giving the public free access to schools’ sports equipment would only add more administrative work for teachers and staff, as they would need to manage the equipment, and deal with equipment losses, damage and other issues after work hours.
Some schools said that opening campuses for public use had already resulted in facility damage, created trash and sanitation issues, especially in restrooms, and also raised security concerns. The schools added that they needed more funds and staff to fulfill such a policy, while protecting students’ rights to sports equipment and facilities. The federation urged the ministry to instead address pressing issues such as staff shortages, under-resourced schools and overworked teachers.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Wu Pei-yi (吳沛憶) said the “ill-considered” policy was “out of touch,” urging the ministry to halt it and questioning if free access to the equipment would meaningfully promote fitness for all.
On Thursday morning, the ministry said that it would provide regular funding for ball-related sports gear, which would be viewed as consumable items, and offered to the public such as “courtesy umbrellas.” However, later that afternoon, it scrapped the policy and assured schools that it would not be implemented without careful consideration.
Similarly, last month, 11 medical groups issued a statement to oppose the ministry’s plan of allowing three universities — which were permitted to admit government-funded postbaccalaureate medical students under special provisions between 2022 and this year — to continue admitting such medical students next year, but changing it to be self-funded and increasing the admission quota. Medical schools can admit a maximum of 1,300 students per year, a government-set quota that has not changed for more than two decades. Medical associations said the ministry’s plan would break long-established rules by raising the enrollment quota. They had even planned protests, but the Executive Yuan shortly thereafter concluded that the annual cap would remain unchanged.
The ministry later issued a statement saying it did not intend to exceed the 1,300 medical student enrollment cap, even though it was planning to allow the transition of the three universities’ postbaccalaureate medical departments.
However, the policy to allow free access to ball equipment on school campuses was clearly not a “misunderstanding,” but was instead poorly planned without feasible supporting measures. Perhaps it was a spur of the moment remark from the minister. It and the medical student policy show that the ministry must improve communication with schools and stakeholders. A “well-intended” government policy requires careful planning and communication with stakeholders, or it could disrupt people’s lives and harm public trust in the government.
In a summer of intense political maneuvering, Taiwanese, whose democratic vibrancy is a constant rebuke to Beijing’s authoritarianism, delivered a powerful verdict not on China, but on their own political leaders. Two high-profile recall campaigns, driven by the ruling party against its opposition, collapsed in failure. It was a clear signal that after months of bitter confrontation, the Taiwanese public is demanding a shift from perpetual campaign mode to the hard work of governing. For Washington and other world capitals, this is more than a distant political drama. The stability of Taiwan is vital, as it serves as a key player
Much like the first round on July 26, Saturday’s second wave of recall elections — this time targeting seven Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers — also failed. With all 31 KMT legislators who faced recall this summer secure in their posts, the mass recall campaign has come to an end. The outcome was unsurprising. Last month’s across-the-board defeats had already dealt a heavy blow to the morale of recall advocates and the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), while bolstering the confidence of the KMT and its ally the Taiwan People’s Party (TPP). It seemed a foregone conclusion that recalls would falter, as
The fallout from the mass recalls and the referendum on restarting the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant continues to monopolize the news. The general consensus is that the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has been bloodied and found wanting, and is in need of reflection and a course correction if it is to avoid electoral defeat. The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) has not emerged unscathed, either, but has the opportunity of making a relatively clean break. That depends on who the party on Oct. 18 picks to replace outgoing KMT Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫). What is certain is that, with the dust settling
Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) on Thursday last week urged democratic nations to boycott China’s military parade on Wednesday next week. The parade, a grand display of Beijing’s military hardware, is meant to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. While China has invited world leaders to attend, many have declined. A Kyodo News report on Sunday said that Japan has asked European and Asian leaders who have yet to respond to the invitation to refrain from attending. Tokyo is seeking to prevent Beijing from spreading its distorted interpretation of wartime history, the report