Nvidia Corp chief executive officer Jensen Huang (黃仁勳) late on Monday said the technology giant has won approval from US President Donald Trump’s administration to sell its advanced H20 graphics processing units (GPUs) used to develop artificial intelligence (AI) to China.
The news came in a company blog post late on Monday and Huang also spoke about the coup on China’s state-run China Global Television Network in remarks shown on X.
“The US government has assured Nvidia that licenses will be granted, and Nvidia hopes to start deliveries soon,” the post said.
Photo: Xinhua news agency via AP
“Today, I’m announcing that the US government has approved for us filing licenses to start shipping H20s,” Huang told reporters in Beijing.
He said that half of the world’s AI researchers are in China.
“It’s so innovative and dynamic here in China that it’s really important that American companies are able to compete and serve the market here in China,” he said.
Huang recently met with Trump and other US policymakers and this week is in Beijing to attend a supply chain conference and speak with Chinese officials.
Huang’s visit is being closely watched in Beijing and Washington, where a bipartisan pair of senators last week sent the CEO a letter asking him to abstain from meeting companies working with military or intelligence bodies.
Nvidia has profited enormously from the rapid adoption of AI, becoming the first company to have its market value surpass US$4 trillion last week. However, the trade rivalry between the US and China has been weighing heavily on the industry.
Washington has been tightening controls on exports of advanced technology to China for years, citing concerns that know-how meant for civilian use could be deployed for military purposes.
The White House in April announced that it would restrict sales of Nvidia’s H20 GPUs and Advanced Micro Devices Inc’s MI308 chips to China, following the emergence of China’s DeepSeek (深度求索) AI chatbot in January.
Nvidia had said the tighter export controls would cost the company an extra US$5.5 billion, and Huang and other technology leaders have been lobbying Trump to reverse the restrictions. They said that such limits hinder US competition in a leading edge sector in one of the world’s largest markets for technology.
They have also warned that US export controls could end up pushing other countries toward China’s AI technology.
As Nvidia said it planned to resume sales of H20s to China, Chinese companies have scrambled to place orders for the GPUs, which Nvidia would then need to send to the US government for approval, the sources familiar with the matter said.
They added that Internet giants ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動) and Tencent Holdings Ltd (騰訊) are in the process of submitting applications.
Central to the process is a “whitelist” put together by Nvidia for Chinese companies to register for potential purchases, one of the sources said.
Separately, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) said yesterday that it plans to restart shipments of its MI308 chips to China after the US said it would approve the sales.
The US commerce department told AMD that license applications for the MI308 products would move forward for review, an AMD spokesman said.
AMD said in April that export restrictions on the MI308 chips would cost the company about US$800 million.
Additional reporting by Reuters
SETBACK: Apple’s India iPhone push has been disrupted after Foxconn recalled hundreds of Chinese engineers, amid Beijing’s attempts to curb tech transfers Apple Inc assembly partner Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密), also known internationally as Foxconn Technology Group (富士康科技集團), has recalled about 300 Chinese engineers from a factory in India, the latest setback for the iPhone maker’s push to rapidly expand in the country. The extraction of Chinese workers from the factory of Yuzhan Technology (India) Private Ltd, a Hon Hai component unit, in southern Tamil Nadu state, is the second such move in a few months. The company has started flying in Taiwanese engineers to replace staff leaving, people familiar with the matter said, asking not to be named, as the
The prices of gasoline and diesel at domestic fuel stations are to rise NT$0.1 and NT$0.4 per liter this week respectively, after international crude oil prices rose last week, CPC Corp, Taiwan (台灣中油) and Formosa Petrochemical Corp (台塑石化) announced yesterday. Effective today, gasoline prices at CPC and Formosa stations are to rise to NT$27.3, NT$28.8 and NT$30.8 per liter for 92, 95 and 98-octane unleaded gasoline respectively, the companies said in separate statements. The price of premium diesel is to rise to NT$26.2 per liter at CPC stations and NT$26 at Formosa pumps, they said. The announcements came after international crude oil prices
SinoPac Financial Holdings Co (永豐金控) is weighing whether to add a life insurance business to its portfolio, but would tread cautiously after completing three acquisitions in quick succession, president Stanley Chu (朱士廷) said yesterday. “We are carefully considering whether life insurance should play a role in SinoPac’s business map,” Chu told reporters ahead of an earnings conference. “Our priority is to ensure the success of the deals we have already made, even though we are tracking some possible targets.” Local media have reported that Mercuries Life Insurance Co (三商美邦人壽), which is seeking buyers amid financial strains, has invited three financial
On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump weighed in on a pressing national issue: The rebranding of a restaurant chain. Last week, Cracker Barrel, a Tennessee company whose nationwide locations lean heavily on a cozy, old-timey aesthetic — “rocking chairs on the porch, a warm fire in the hearth, peg games on the table” — announced it was updating its logo. Uncle Herschel, the man who once appeared next to the letters with a barrel, was gone. It sparked ire on the right, with Donald Trump Jr leading a charge against the rebranding: “WTF is wrong with Cracker Barrel?!” Later, Trump Sr weighed