Samsung Electronics Co yesterday said that it expected its second-quarter operating profit to fall by more than half, blaming US export controls on advanced artificial intelligence (AI) chips to China.
Samsung said in a regulatory filing that its April-June operating profit was expected to drop to 4.6 trillion won (US$3.3 billion), down 56 percent from a year earlier and 31 percent from the previous quarter.
The figure was 23.4 percent lower than the average estimate, according to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, which cited its own financial data firm.
Photo: AFP
Sales were estimated at 74 trillion won, down 0.1 percent from a year earlier and 6.5 percent from the previous quarter, the company said.
Samsung did not disclose its net income or the detailed earnings of its business divisions.
In a separate release, the company explained why the results “fell short of market expectations.”
The company’s key semiconductors division “recorded a quarter-on-quarter decline in profit due to inventory value adjustments and the impact of US restrictions on advanced AI chips for China,” it said.
The restrictions mean the company’s high-tech factories were running well below capacity.
However, Samsung projected that in the second half of the year it would trim operating losses “as utilization improves due to a gradual recovery in demand.”
TrendForce Corp (集邦科技) analyst Tom Hsu (許家源) attributed the sharp profit and revenue drop “primarily to the weak foundry business, while the performance of the memory business stayed relatively stable.” The outlook for the next quarter is more optimistic, with “memory chip prices and shipments to keep rising, thanks to strong demand,” especially from data centers, Hsu added.
Performance from the company’s high-bandwidth memory (HBM) chips — used for advanced AI computing — “likely fell short of expectations,” Korea Investment and Securities Co analyst Chae Min-sook said.
In addition, a price drop for its NAND — used for data storage — “likely widened losses slightly,” Chae said.
“The sharp decline in the won-dollar exchange rate since June will likely weigh on both sales and operating profit” for the second quarter,” she added.
Samsung is among the smartphone makers under pressure from US President Donald Trump, who has threatened South Korea with 25 percent tariffs in a letter to Seoul on Monday.
Trump has repeatedly demanded that global companies — including Samsung and rival Apple Inc — relocate production to the US, which many experts warn is unrealistic, citing complex Asia-based supply chains.
South Korea has already been hit by levies on steel and car exports, and yesterday said it was maintaining “close communication” with the Trump administration, as it sought to head off additional measures.
SETBACK: Apple’s India iPhone push has been disrupted after Foxconn recalled hundreds of Chinese engineers, amid Beijing’s attempts to curb tech transfers Apple Inc assembly partner Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密), also known internationally as Foxconn Technology Group (富士康科技集團), has recalled about 300 Chinese engineers from a factory in India, the latest setback for the iPhone maker’s push to rapidly expand in the country. The extraction of Chinese workers from the factory of Yuzhan Technology (India) Private Ltd, a Hon Hai component unit, in southern Tamil Nadu state, is the second such move in a few months. The company has started flying in Taiwanese engineers to replace staff leaving, people familiar with the matter said, asking not to be named, as the
The prices of gasoline and diesel at domestic fuel stations are to rise NT$0.1 and NT$0.4 per liter this week respectively, after international crude oil prices rose last week, CPC Corp, Taiwan (台灣中油) and Formosa Petrochemical Corp (台塑石化) announced yesterday. Effective today, gasoline prices at CPC and Formosa stations are to rise to NT$27.3, NT$28.8 and NT$30.8 per liter for 92, 95 and 98-octane unleaded gasoline respectively, the companies said in separate statements. The price of premium diesel is to rise to NT$26.2 per liter at CPC stations and NT$26 at Formosa pumps, they said. The announcements came after international crude oil prices
SinoPac Financial Holdings Co (永豐金控) is weighing whether to add a life insurance business to its portfolio, but would tread cautiously after completing three acquisitions in quick succession, president Stanley Chu (朱士廷) said yesterday. “We are carefully considering whether life insurance should play a role in SinoPac’s business map,” Chu told reporters ahead of an earnings conference. “Our priority is to ensure the success of the deals we have already made, even though we are tracking some possible targets.” Local media have reported that Mercuries Life Insurance Co (三商美邦人壽), which is seeking buyers amid financial strains, has invited three financial
CAUTION: Right now, artificial intelligence runs on faith, not productivity and eventually, the risk of a bubble will emerge,’ TIER economist Gordon Sun said Taiwanese manufacturers turned more optimistic last month, ending a five-month streak of declining sentiment as concerns over US tariffs, currency volatility and China’s overcapacity began to ease, the Taiwan Institute of Economic Research (TIER) said yesterday. The manufacturing business confidence index rose 1.17 points from June to 86.8, its first rebound since February. TIER economist Gordon Sun (孫明德) attributed the uptick to fading trade uncertainties, a steadier New Taiwan dollar and reduced competitive pressure from Chinese producers. Taiwan’s semiconductor industry is unlikely to face significant damage from Washington’s ongoing probe into semiconductors, given the US’ reliance on Taiwanese chips to power artificial