Intel on Thursday said it would cut more than 15 percent of its workforce and suspend its dividend starting in the fourth quarter, as the chipmaker pursues a turnaround centered around its loss-making manufacturing business.
It also forecast third-quarter revenue below estimates, grappling with a pullback in spending on traditional data center semiconductors and a focus on artificial intelligence (AI) chips, where it lags rivals.
Intel shares fell 20 percent in extended trade, setting it up to lose more than US$24 billion in market value. The stock had closed down 7 percent on Thursday, in tandem with a plunge in US chip stocks after a conservative forecast from Arm Holdings PLC on Wednesday.
Photo: Ann Wang, Reuters
The results did not rock the broader chip industry. AI powerhouse Nvidia Corp and smaller rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc ticked up after hours, underscoring how well-positioned they were to take advantage of the AI boom.
“I need less people at headquarters, more people in the field, supporting customers,” Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger told Reuters in an interview. On the dividend suspension, he said: “Our objective is to ... pay a competitive dividend over time, but right now, focusing on the balance sheet, deleveraging.”
The layoffs would impact roughly 17,500 people.
Intel, which employed 116,500 people as of June 29, excluding some subsidiaries, said the majority of the job cuts would be completed by the end of the year.
The company also announced it would cut operating expenses and reduce capital expenditure by more than US$10 billion next year, more than it initially planned.
“A US$10 billion cost reduction plan shows that management is willing to take strong and drastic measures to right the ship and fix problems. But we are all asking, ‘is it enough’ and is it a bit of a late reaction considering that CEO Gelsinger has been at the helm for over three years?” Running Point Capital chief investment officer Michael Schulman said.
Scraping dividend might further pressure the shares in the short to medium-term, because it would knock Intel out of any exchange-traded funds, indices and fund strategies that only include dividend payers, Schulman said.
The company had cash and cash equivalents of US$11.29 billion, and total current liabilities of about US$32 billion as of June 29.
Much of Wall Street’s focus has centered around the heavy investments and huge costs incurred by Intel as it builds out its manufacturing capacity in a bid to compete against Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電).
Intel’s lagging position in the market for AI chips has sent its shares down more than 40 percent so far this year.
As part of its cost reduction, Intel expects to slash capital expenses by 17 percent next year year-on-year to US$21.5 billion, calculated on the midpoint of a range the chipmaker forecast. It expects these costs to stay roughly flat this year.
“On one hand, Intel is witnessing the erosion of its traditional data center business as chip buyers aggressively migrate towards AI chips. On the other hand, Intel is navigating a challenging and expensive transformation to a foundry model,” Global X research analyst Tejas Dessai said.
Intel adopted extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography tools much later than TSMC did, which caused the US chipmaker’s foundry business to lag the Taiwanese manufacturer. The company is working to rectify that. It became the first to assemble one of Dutch chip gear maker ASML Holding NV’s new high-NA EUV lithography tools in April.
Analysts believe Intel’s plan to turn around the foundry business would take years to materialize and expect TSMC to maintain its lead in the coming years.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his