Finance ministers from the world’s rich economies could propose a new partnership on supply chains that would be open to other nations, and would require countries to have minimum standards on human rights and environmental policies to join.
Officials are well advanced in drafting a statement for the G7 meeting, with the additional details on diversifying supply chains to be included, people familiar with the matter said.
The planned partnership would start by the end of this year, they said, declining to be named as the drafting is not public.
Photo: REUTERS
Efforts to diversify the supply chain of renewable energy resources is also likely, one person said. China has a dominant position in the supply of some rare earths, and policymakers from around the world have spoken about the need to diversify sources.
Finance ministers and central bank chiefs from the G7 yesterday began a second day of talks in Niigata, Japan, with three hours of closed-door morning talks on global financial stability.
Shoring up supply chains is among the top concerns at the G7 gathering, alongside concerns over the financial sector, the war in Ukraine and debt restructuring.
The G7 finance officers would be looking to show more progress on these issues than is possible in the more disparate G20, which includes China and Russia.
The strengthening of supply chains inevitably has a geopolitical element, given China’s importance in supplying and manufacturing for the global economy. While the US is pushing to reduce reliance on China, some European countries are showing some reluctance.
Speaking in Niigata, European Commissioner for Economy Paolo Gentiloni said that a decoupling from China presents a risk for global commerce.
“What we are talking about is not closing our trade with China, but making our supply chains more secure in some strategic sectors like rare minerals,” Gentiloni said in an interview on the sidelines of the summit. “I think you have to build your own capacity in some of these sectors. This is absolutely needed.”
Yesterday’s talks were to continue through the afternoon, and were to be followed by a dinner. Meetings would resume this morning, with a concluding statement and news conference scheduled for about 12:30pm.
Japan, as this year’s G7 host, invited officials from emerging economies including Brazil and Indonesia to the gathering.
That is a departure from protocol, with the aim to counter China’s growing influence in the so-called Global South.
With recent G20 meetings marred by discord over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the G7 has allowed the US and allies to push priorities such as tightening sanctions on Russia and diversifying supply chains from China.
US Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen on Thursday said that Washington intends to crack down on Russia’s ability to skirt sanctions imposed by the US and allies after its invasion of Ukraine.
She said she hopes to discuss with her G7 counterparts a set of possible restrictions on outbound investments to China that US President Joe Biden’s administration has been mulling for some time, but has not yet finalized.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his