Tofu Restaurant Co (豆府) on Thursday reported a 73 percent rise in net profit from a year earlier to NT$105 million (US$3.41 million) in the first quarter, as the multi-brand South Korean restaurant chain emerged from COVID-19 restrictions.
The financial results translated into earnings per share of NT$4, the company said, adding that its gross margin also improved to 54.34 percent, from 52.47 percent during the first quarter of last year.
With first-quarter revenue increasing 32.33 percent to NT$749 million, the company said it is positive that growth momentum would gain traction, partly due to outlet expansions.
The company — which operates restaurants under the Dubu House Korea (涓豆腐), Hanok Tofu (北村豆腐家), Han Jeong Sig (韓姜熙小廚房) and Pho Tau Bay (越南飛機河粉) brands — has opened four new outlets this year, and aims to raise the number to 10 by the end of the year.
Tofu said it recently collaborated with technology firms to launch a Tofu app selling instant and frozen food packages. The move would help secure revenue and customer loyalty, it said.
Hi-Lai Foods Co (漢來美食) — which operates buffet Hilai Restaurant (漢來海港餐廳), Hi-Lai Vegetarian Restaurant (漢來蔬食) and luxury Cantonese restaurant Celebrity Cuisine (名人坊) — on Thursday reported a strong rebound in profitability in the first quarter, saying that the growth momentum would be sustained in the second quarter.
Net profit increased 197.4 percent to NT$127.15 million last quarter, from NT$42.76 million a year earlier, with earnings per share of NT$3.01, while revenue rose 25 percent to NT$1.295 billion, from NT$1.04 billion, the company said in a statement.
Hi-Lai said first-quarter revenue hit the highest quarterly level ever, due to rising demand from people eager to eat out during the Lunar New Year holiday, as well as contributions from business gatherings.
The restaurant operator said it expects better business this quarter on the back of outlet expansion, adding that the opening of a new Grand Hi-Lai Hotel (漢來大飯店) in Taipei’s Nangang District (南港) in October would boost its food and beverage sales.
In related news, Sunjuice Holdings Co Ltd (鮮活果汁), which supplies concentrated fruit juice and pulp to Happy Lemon, 85°C (85度C), Gongcha (貢茶) and more than 700 Chinese brands, posted net profit of NT$45.44 million for the first quarter, with earnings per share of NT$1.34.
It represents a quarterly decline of 32.18 percent, but a mild increase of 2.18 percent from a year earlier.
Sunjuice attributed the lackluster performance to China’s beverage market remaining soft after its government abruptly ditched COVID-19 restrictions in December last year.
The company said it has come under profit pressure after peers in 2021 introduced cutthroat price competition strategies.
Sunjuice has stayed in the black due to its brand value, economic scale and bargaining prowess, it said, adding that things would improve after raw material prices stabilize.
The companies’ first-quarter results align with a post-pandemic rebound in domestic food and beverage consumption, as Taiwanese have resumed eating out.
Food and beverage sales in the first quarter rose 17.2 percent year-on-year to a record NT$254.8 billion, outpacing the previous quarter’s 13.3 percent annual growth, the Ministry of Economic Affairs reported on April 24.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he