With growing pressure to keep China’s Huawei Technologies Co (華為) out of 5G network development, it could be time for firms like Japan’s NEC Corp and South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co to shine, analysts have said.
Washington has already pledged to cut the firm out of the most sensitive “core” elements of 5G that access personal data, and is now reportedly pushing for plans to end Huawei’s involvement in Britain’s 5G infrastructure by 2023.
Excluding Huawei is not without challenges, because there are currently only two alternatives in Europe for 5G equipment such as antennas and relay masts: Finland’s Nokia Oyj and Sweden’s Ericsson AB.
Photo: AFP
Britain has encouraged Washington to form a club of 10 democratic nations that could develop its own 5G technology, but there has been little movement so far.
“The vast majority of the commercial networks sold in the world come from the big three,” BearingPoint head of telecoms Sylvain Chevallier said, referring to Huawei, Nokia and Ericsson.
“But a world of three is not good for operators, and if it goes down to two it will be worse still,” he said.
That leaves a tempting potential opening for firms like Samsung and NEC, but building a successful 5G network is no simple task.
That is a lesson Samsung has already learned. Despite being a major player in 3G, it found itself unable to compete with the big three on 4G and struggled to win commercial contracts.
“This has been a challenge for Samsung,” said Daryl Schoolar, a mobile technology specialist at consulting group Omdia.
In building its 5G network, Samsung has so far focused on North America and parts of the Asia-Pacific region.
“So while operators may feel uncertain about Samsung Networks, they are much further along in the process of being a global presence than NEC,” Schoolar said.
NEC does have some advantages, including a partnership in Japan with mobile operator Rakuten Inc.
The firms have already cooperated on a 4G network and are jointly developing a 5G system.
The Japanese firm is also a leader on undersea cables, fiber optic networks and — thanks to its affiliate Netcracker Technology Corp — logistics management software.
“Netcracker has a strong presence with operators in Europe, which could be a real entry point for NEC,” said Stephane Teral, chief telecoms analyst at LightCounting, a market research firm.
NEC is tight-lipped about its contracts for mobile networks, saying only that it is holding feasibility demonstrations for “a number of customers and we are engaged in commercial discussions with others.”
Britain’s government has reportedly asked both NEC and Samsung to take part in demonstrations as it looks to diversify its 5G options.
On Thursday, NEC announced a tie-up with Japanese operator NTT Docomo Inc, intended in part to speed up the development of a 5G network.
Samsung and NEC joined forces two years ago and have launched a joint marketing team to offer 5G products to European and Asian markets.
Still, the path ahead would be tough, Schoolar said.
“I think it’s a major challenge for NEC. It requires more than radios, it requires investing in people who can do system integration, sales, customer support, network design and engineering,” he said.
“Plus, NEC will need to build operator trust that they will be there to support them in five to 10 years as those 5G networks evolve,” he added.
Washington has backed the use of nonproprietary technology such as Open RAN in 5G development, hoping it would provide an entry point for US firms.
Such a move would open up opportunities for NEC, allowing them to “create an economic model that would shake up traditional equipment manufacturers,” Chevallier said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort