A portrait made by algorithm on Thursday smashed new boundaries, selling for US$432,500 and becoming the first piece of artificial intelligence (AI) art sold at a major auction house, Christie’s said.
At first glance, Edmond de Belamy, the portrait of a gentleman dressed in black and framed in gold, could be any standard portrait from the 18th or 19th century.
Up close, the image is more intriguing. The face is fuzzy and the picture seemingly unfinished. Instead of an artist’s signature, it bears the stamp of a mathematical formula on the bottom right.
Photo: AFP
It is the brainchild of French collective Obvious, whose aim is to use AI to democratize art. To make the painting, artist Pierre Fautrel ran 15,000 classic portraits through computer software.
Once the software “understood the rules of portraiture,” using a new algorithm developed by Google researcher Ian Goodfellow, it generated a series of new images by itself, Fautrel said.
The French collective selected 11, calling them the “Belamy family,” one of which on Thursday fetched US$432,500 at Christie’s in New York, the epicenter of the traditional art market.
The price smashed its presale estimates of US$7,000 to US$10,000.
Christie’s said that the work was snapped up by an anonymous telephone bidder after a five-way battle between telephone and online bidders, and one bidder in the room.
Is it a work of art? Fautrel, 25, insisted that it is.
“Even if the algorithm creates the image, we are the people who decided to do this, who decided to print it on canvas, sign it as a mathematical formula, put it in a gold frame,” he said.
He compared AI art to early photography of the 1850s, which he said critics rubbished at the time as “not being art and which would destroy artists.”
Christie’s international head of prints and multiples Richard Lloyd persuaded the collective to put the print up for sale to foster a debate about AI in art, he said.
“I know it’s a debate that’s going on quite widely. I thought that in a way this marked a watershed — or slightly a tipping point,” Lloyd said.
Leaving aside the art debate, there are legal questions. Is the collective or the algorithm the artist? What are the copyright issues?
For Lloyd, this is just the beginning of AI art, he said.
“This is developing incredibly fast. Only in five or 10 years we will look back on this and it will look very different,” he said.
“Artists who are great adopters of technology, they will seize AI,” he predicted. “Artists will use it to generate images which they will then modify ... It will be quite seamless.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort