A Hitachi Ltd-LG Corp joint venture and Sony Corp were among a group of companies — including Taiwan’s Quanta Storage Inc (廣明) — yesterday fined a combined total of 116 million euros (US$131.6 million) by EU regulators for fixing the prices of CD and DVD drives.
Hitachi-LG Data Storage Inc will have to pay 37.1 million euros, Sony received a 21 million euro penalty, while Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology Corp was fined 41.3 million euros, the European Commission said in a statement.
“Today’s [yesterday’s] decision demonstrates once again that cartelists cannot escape fines just by holding their meetings in cinemas and car parks outside Europe, while selling their products in Europe,” EU Commissioner for Competition Margrethe Vestager said.
The EU technology probe mirrored a US investigation where Hitachi-LG agreed to plead guilty and pay a US$21.1 million fine for conspiring with other companies from June 2004 through September 2009 to rig bids and fix prices for optical drives sold to Dell Inc, Hewlett-Packard Co and Microsoft Corp.
The companies colluded between June 2004 and November 2008 to rig bids on optical disk drives sold to manufacturers of PCs and servers, the EU said.
Quanta Storage will have to pay 7.1 million euros, it said.
Sony Optiarc was fined 9.8 million euros, while Royal Philips NV received immunity from fines after blowing the whistle on the cartel, it added.
Separately, Sony has agreed to pay as much as US$8 million to settle claims from employees over the theft of their personal information in a computer hack linked to last year’s release of the movie The Interview.
Sony is to pay the current and former employees as much as US$4.5 million, with lawyers getting US$3.5 million, according to the settlement.
US officials have blamed North Korean hackers angered over the Seth Rogen and James Franco comedy for the attack, which was revealed in November last year.
The breach exposed Hollywood secrets, destroyed company data and caused the movie studio to initially cancel the release of The Interview, which was about a fictional plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
In the settlement, Sony will provide as much as US$2 million to reimburse employees who paid themselves for preventive identity-theft measures, according to a request for court approval filed on Monday in Los Angeles.
The company is also to pay as much as US$2.5 million to reimburse employees who have been affected by identity theft.
In addition, Sony is to provide identity protection services for employees who join the settlement.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort