Puerto Rico’s governor believes the US territory’s US$72 billion public debt is unpayable, a spokesman confirmed late on Sunday, adding another blow to a world financial system already struggling with a possible default by Greece.
Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla’s spokesman, Jesus Manuel Ortiz, confirmed that the Puerto Rican government is seeking to defer payments while negotiating with creditors.
He confirmed comments by Garcia Padilla that appeared in a report in the New York Times published late on Sunday, less than a day before the governor is scheduled to deliver a public address amid debate on a US$9.8 billion budget that calls for US$674 million in cuts and sets aside US$1.5 billion to help pay off the debt.
Photo: Bloomberg
The budget has to be approved by today.
“There is no other option. I would love to have an easier option. This is not politics, this is math,” Garcia Padilla is quoted as saying in the Times.
Puerto Rico’s bonds were popular with US mutual funds because they were tax-free, but hedge funds and distressed-debt buyers have been stepping in to buy up the debt as the island’s economy worsened and its credit rating dropped.
Puerto Rico’s constitution dictates that the debt has to be paid before any other financial obligation is met. If the governor seeks to not pay the debt at all, it will require a referendum and a vote on a constitutional amendment, said Puerto Rican Representative Jenniffer Gonzalez, spokeswoman for the main opposition party.
She said in a phone interview that she was taken aback by Garcia’s comments, which came out just hours before he was scheduled to meet with legislators.
“I think it’s irresponsible,” Gonzalez said. “He met privately with the New York Times last week, but he hasn’t met with the leaders of this island.”
Puerto Rico’s situation has drawn comparisons to Greece, where the government decreed this weekend that banks would be shuttered for six business days and restrictions imposed on cash withdrawals. The country’s five-year financial crisis has sparked questions about its continued membership in the 19-nation eurozone and the EU.
Garcia Padilla recently confirmed that he had considered having his government seek permission from the US Congress to declare bankruptcy amid a nearly decade-long economic slump.
His administration is currently pushing for the right for Puerto Rico’s public agencies to file for bankruptcy under Chapter 9.
Neither the agencies nor the island’s government can file for bankruptcy under current US rules.
Puerto Rico’s public agencies owe a large portion of the debt, with the power company alone owing about US$9 billion. The company is facing a restructuring as the government continues to negotiate with creditors as the deadline for a roughly US$400 million payment nears.
Garcia Padilla has taken several measures to help generate more government revenue, including signing legislation raising the sales tax to 11.5 percent and creating a 4 percent tax on professional services.
The sales tax increase goes into effect tomorrow and the new services tax on Oct. 1, to be followed by a transition to a value-added tax by April 1.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his