Glencore Xstrata PLC confirmed Tony Hayward as permanent chairman of the mining and commodities trading group, sealing the former BP chief executive’s comeback from the worst offshore oil spill in US history.
Hayward, who is also chief executive of London-listed oil company Genel Energy PLC, has been Glencore Xstrata’s interim chairman since May last year, when his predecessor Sir John Bond was ousted by shareholders.
At the time, Glencore Xstrata said Hayward would return to his role as a senior independent director once a chairman was found.
Other leading candidates for the role were former Vale SA boss Roger Agnelli and ex-BG Group CEO Frank Chapman, sources said. The final decision was made after consultation with shareholders.
Hayward’s confirmation as chairman of one of the world’s largest mining groups completes his return to the corporate big league after he was forced out of BP following the 2010 Deepwater Horizon rig blowout and oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
He was severely criticized for his handling of the disaster that killed 11 people and left huge stretches of sea and coast ravaged with oil and experimental chemicals used to disperse the leaked crude.
Hayward is expected to eventually step down as chief executive of Genel, the oil and gas explorer he has invested in alongside British-born financier Nat Rothschild, a source close to the matter said.
IRAQI OIL FIRM
Genel, which focuses on producing oil in Kurdistan, an autonomous region in Iraq, declined to comment on whether Hayward would leave, but one media report on Wednesday said Hayward would leave Genel after a successor has been found and a handover period allowed to take place, while another said Hayward was expected to leave within a year.
In his permanent role at Glencore Xstrata, Hayward could help the company with new acquisitions in the oil sector.
“Oil seems to be a growing arm of the Glencore business and if they want to push and expand a bit more, Tony’s expertise can certainly help with that,” Investec analyst Marc Elliott said.
BOARD WOES
Meanwhile, a group of British public sector pension funds has opposed Hayward’s appointment and asked its members to vote against him in protest at the company’s failure to set targets for female representation on its board.
Glencore defended its position and said it was searching for suitable female board members.
“Glencore values and promotes diversity across its business. The appointment of a female board member is a significant consideration, and our nominations committee is working to identify appropriate female candidates,” a Glencore official said in a statement.
Glencore expanded its oil and gas operations with the £800 million (US$1.4 billion) acquisition of Chad-focused energy company Caracal Energy last month.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his