Japan Airlines Ltd (JAL), delisted from the Tokyo stock exchange after its bankruptcy in 2010, was set to return to Japan’s biggest bourse this week after a massive overhaul and US$8.5 billion share sale.
The carrier is to begin trading on Wednesday following its initial public offering (IPO) — the world’s second-biggest IPO this year after Facebook — marked a stunning turnaround for one of Japan’s worst corporate catastrophes.
“The re-listing is a very important milestone for us and something that we had craved, but it is also just part of our bigger goal of steady profitability,” JAL president Yoshiharu Ueki told reporters last week.
Photo: AFP
“Without being carried away by the euphoria ... we will make further efforts so that we respond to our new investors’ expectations,” he added.
JAL crashed into bankruptcy in January 2010, owing ¥2.3 trillion (US$29 billion) in one of Japan’s biggest-ever corporate failures, but continued flying while it went through a rehabilitation process under court protection.
The overhauled carrier, recently touted as the world’s most profitable airline, received a huge government bailout and other concessions, drawing howls of protest from rivals, including All Nippon Airways.
Led by charismatic businessman Kazuo Inamori, who was brought in by the government to help turn the firm around, JAL also withdrew from unprofitable routes and sold or merged non-core businesses.
Last month, JAL pointed to its improved financial health, saying net profit in the April-to-June quarter more than doubled to ¥26.9 billion.
The airline has embarked on an ambitious expansion, saying earlier this year it ordered 10 new fuel-efficient Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft as it looks to build on its recovery.
The announcement, part of a five-year plan, is in addition to an existing order for 35 of the mid-sized planes capable of flying long-range routes.
In a regulatory filing on Monday last week, JAL said it expected to sell 175 million new shares at ¥3,790 each — the top end of a previously announced range — which would translate to proceeds of ¥663 billion.
That is nearly double the amount of public money spent to keep it afloat during the massive restructuring, with the proceeds expected to be used to pay back the government bailout.
The offering was the year’s second-biggest globally behind Facebook, after the social networking giant’s US$16 billion IPO in May, although Facebook shares have dived since their much-hyped May 18 debut.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his