Freddie Mac, the second-largest source of US mortgage finance, said on Thursday it would tap an extra US$6 billion from its taxpayer lifeline as the shaky US housing market fueled its worst quarterly loss in more than a year.
The government-owned company said it lost US$4.4 billion in the third quarter, a big increase from a US$2.5 billion loss in the year-ago period.
It was the latest sign of how persistent housing weakness is draining cash from the firm the government rescued in 2008, raising the cost to taxpayers to keep it afloat.
The company warned of further weakness ahead as the pace of foreclosures picks up.
Freddie Mac has already drawn US$72.2 billion in taxpayer funds. It needs extra public money to cover its latest loss plus a US$1.6 billion dividend payment to the US Treasury.
The company and its larger rival, Fannie Mae, were seized by the government at the height of the financial crisis as mortgage losses piled up, threatening their solvency.
Given the crucial role the two play in the US housing finance system, the US Treasury has seen them as too important to fail.
Freddie Mac CEO Charles Haldeman said a weak labor market and fragile economy had made many potential home buyers sit on the sidelines or opt to rent, despite relatively low prices and record-low mortgage rates.
TEPID RECOVERY
“Looking ahead, we expect the tepid recovery to continue to put downward pressure on house prices into early next year,” Haldeman said in a statement.
Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae buy mortgages and repackage them as securities for investors, which they then guarantee — a critical role to keep mortgage funds flowing. Together with the US Federal Housing Administration, the two government-sponsored enterprises provide financing for 90 percent of all new US home loans.
With home prices still off sharply from their 2006 peak, both companies are facing mounting costs from a backlog of repossessed properties on their books. Freddie Mac spent US$221 million in the third quarter to maintain homes that have been foreclosed on, up from US$27 million for the previous quarter.
The US Treasury has offered the two companies an unlimited credit line through next year. Both US President Barack Obama’s administration and Congress want to eventually wind them down.
Fannie Mae, which reports on third quarter earnings later this month, has drawn nearly US$105 billion in taxpayer funds since 2008. The two government-owned companies have returned about US$30 billion to the US Treasury in dividends, leaving their net cost to taxpayers at about US$145 billion.
MORE PROVISIONS
Earnings reports earlier in the year had shown Freddie Mac setting aside less money to cover potential credit losses. This quarter, however, Freddie set aside US$3.6 billion for credit losses from single-family home loans, up from US$2.5 billion in the prior quarter.
The company said it expected it would have to set aside more money going forward to cover potential losses as lenders step up foreclosure activity that had been put on hold as they resolved questions over faulty loan documentation.
Aside from continued weakness in housing, Freddie’s performance in the third quarter reflected a US$4.8 billion loss on derivatives it uses to hedge its exposure to interest rates movements. A year earlier, it faced a derivatives loss of only US$1.1 billion.
The regulator for Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae last week predicted the two firms’ cumulative net costs to US taxpayers will be US$121 billion to US$193 billion through 2014, when future dividend payments are taken into account. A year ago, it had forecast a cost of US$221 billion to US$363 billion for the period through 2013.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort