Rich nations could tap strategic oil reserves if needed to ward off the risk that Middle East political unrest triggers an inflationary price spiral, US Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner said on Thursday.
In wide-ranging testimony before the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Geithner again tweaked China for keeping its currency too low and assured lawmakers he was committed to expanding US overseas trade, while playing down risks that oil prices were a threat to a budding recovery.
He said there was “considerable” spare oil production capacity around the world and “substantial” reserves on hand.
Photo: AFP
“If necessary, those reserves could be mobilized to help mitigate the effect of a severe, sustained supply disruption,” he said.
Political protests have swept through parts of the Middle East and North Africa, sending tremors through markets for fear it could spread to key producers such as Saudi Arabia.
Geithner did not appear to be signaling any short-term intent to dip into US reserves, but rather to make the point that there were options if a lengthy interruption of supplies occurred.
Tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, created in the mid-70s after the Arab oil embargo, is a relatively rare event and it has been US policy to turn to the emergency supply only when faced with a major supply disruption.
The last time it was done was in 2005 following Hurricane Katrina and it drove oil prices down by about 9 percent at the time.
Unrest in oil producer Libya has propelled US crude oil futures above US$100 a barrel in recent days. Crude had traded at about US$86 before protests struck Egypt in late January, the first in a wave of unrest that has encompassed much of the region.
Geithner said the administration of US President Barack Obama was monitoring Middle East developments closely and acknowledged that rising commodity prices — for both food and oil — were causing hardship in many parts of the world by pushing prices up, but he said Americans were feeling less impact.
“In the United States, rising gasoline prices have left consumers with less money to spend, but underlying inflation across all goods and services is modest,” Geithner said.
He also repeated a call for global agreement on “stronger norms for exchange rate policies” to ensure that some countries don’t use an artificially low currency rate to benefit their own economies at the expense of other nations.
“There is broad consensus that the major economies — not just Europe, Japan and the United States, but also the large emerging economies — need to allow their exchange rates to adjust in response to market forces,” Geithner said.
He said the yuan “remains substantially undervalued” and said there has been limited progress in getting Beijing to let it rise in value more rapidly.
The global economy is gradually regaining its footing after three years of crisis, Geithner said, though the pace of growth was uneven and unbalanced.
Geithner pointed to forecasts from the IMF that forecast that emerging-market economies will expand 6.5 percent this year, while Japan and Europe will manage only 1.5 percent growth.
If oil prices stay at about US$110 per barrel, Deutsche Bank economist Peter Hooper estimated it would trim 0.35 percentage points off of US economic output, a moderate hit considering economists expect growth in the 3.4 percent range this year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his