The WTO made public its first official condemnation of Chinese commercial practices on Friday, releasing a February ruling that sided with the US, the EU and Canada in a dispute over car parts.
The verdict — findings of which were obtained by the Associated Press five months ago — found that China was breaking trade rules by taxing imports of auto parts at the same rate as foreign-made finished cars.
In the sweeping decision, the three-member WTO panel ruled against China on nearly every point of contention with the US, the 27-country EU and Canada.
The panel found that Chinese measures “accord imported auto parts less favorable treatment than like domestic auto parts” or “subject imported auto parts to an internal charge in excess of that applied to like domestic auto parts.”
“The dispute settlement body requests China to bring these inconsistent measures as listed above into conformity with its obligations,” it said.
The three trade powers argued that the tariff was discouraging automakers from using imported car parts for the vehicles they assemble in China. As a result, car parts companies had an incentive to shift production to China, costing Americans, Canadians and Europeans their jobs, they said.
The dispute has likely been closely watched by makers of everything from batteries and brakes to seats and spark plugs on both sides of the Atlantic, including US-based Delphi Corp, a former parts supplier to General Motors, and Robert Bosch GmbH in Germany.
China, which can still appeal, claims the tariffs are intended to stop whole cars being imported in large chunks, allowing companies to avoid the higher tariff rates for finished cars. It argues that all measures are fully consistent with WTO rules and do not discriminate against foreign auto parts.
But the US and the EU say that China promised not to treat parts as whole cars when it joined the WTO in 2001.
“In all major respects, the panel has agreed with the United States that China has acted inconsistently with its WTO commitments,” the Office of the US Trade Representative said in February.
China’s trade boom has caused friction with Europe and the US as their trade deficits with the Asian country have grown.
This dispute, launched in 2006, marked the first time Western allies teamed up to seek a formal WTO investigation of China’s trade practices.
China’s car-making market has grown rapidly and it is now third in auto sales after the US and Japan. However, manufacturers have to source 40 percent of parts by value in China to avoid the tax and foreign makers of parts have only recently started to keep pace with the overall growth in the Chinese market.
The US exported US$840 million in auto parts worth to China in the first nine months of last year, up 38 percent from the same period a year earlier, according to the US Commerce Department.
European carmakers have about 25 percent of the car production market in China. Figures provided in 2006 put its auto parts exports to China at about US$4.75 billion annually.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his