China's leaders are facing renewed pressure over shortfalls in diesel and gasoline, with lines growing at filling stations in major cities yesterday as the gap widens between international crude oil values and centrally controlled fuel prices.
The shortages, first reported in southern and inland China, appeared to be spreading to the wealthier coastal areas as filling stations struggled to get shipments from refiners. Four stations contacted yesterday in Shanghai said their daily diesel shipments had not yet arrived.
"You could try your luck later in the day. Now, we have no diesel available at all," said a staffer at a filling station in the city's eastern Pudong district.
"I can't promise you anything, though, for once it comes, it will soon run out," the attendant said.
Workers at another filling station said that they were on duty round the clock, waiting for diesel shipments.
Authorities downplayed the shortages and urged drivers to remain calm and not hoard fuel.
Shanghai has enough diesel to last more than 10 days, the city's Economic Commission said in a statement seen yesterday on its Web site.
"Prices are set by the government, so consumers should not panic over fears of surging prices or try to stockpile fuel," it said.
It appealed to city residents to "show understanding regarding the temporary shortages and to please preserve traffic order around filling stations" -- alluding to troubles with frustrated drivers unable to fill their tanks.
Shortages in the second half of last year briefly affected Shanghai and other major cities. But those shortfalls disappeared after the government ordered oil companies to ensure supplies, and then raised fuel prices by about 10 percent.
Now, with inflation at its highest in a dozen years, China's economic planners are resisting pressure from refiners for price hikes.
The consumer price index was up 8.7 percent last month over a year earlier, prompting Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (溫家寶) to vow more controls to rein in inflation.
China supplied its own energy for decades from domestic oil fields but became a net importer in the 1990s as its economy boomed. Imports, which now supply nearly half of demand, rose 12.3 percent last year to 1.1 billion barrels.
With crude oil prices at over US$100 a barrel, independent refiners have cut back or stopped production. Major state-owned suppliers Sinopec (中石化) and PetroChina (中石油), ordered by the government to ensure supplies to major cities and key sectors such as farming and public transport, were limiting sales to independent gas stations in some regions, state media reports said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort