While the video-rental market in the US is being threatened by low-priced DVDs sold by discount retailers like Wal-Mart, the industry here is suffering from a slow economy and rampant piracy, an executive at Blockbuster Taiwan said yesterday.
"The nation's video-rental industry has suffered a continuous decline for the past two or three years as economic sluggishness has caused people to spend less on entertainment," said Darrel Lee (
Blockbuster Inc, the world's biggest video-store chain, with over 8,500 outlets, announced late last month that it is exiting the Hong Kong market and will drop plans to enter the Chinese market.
"We saw no growth in our sales last year in Taiwan," Lee said.
"The situation is not getting better this year, as the estimated value of Taiwan's video-rental market may drop 10 percent to around NT$3 billion this year" he said.
Blockbuster entered the Taiwan market in 1997. It has become the nation's largest video-rental chain, with 126 outlets and a 40 percent market share.
While Blockbuster's local business is stagnant, the US operation is facing declining revenues on account of competition from low-priced videos.
Blockbuster's major shareholder, Viacom Inc, the media conglomerate that owns MTV and CBS, announced earlier this week that it is planning to sell its 81-percent stake in the company and is taking a US$1.3 billion charge to reflect the declining value of its video-rental business.
The problems ailing Blockbuster in the US are different from the ones experienced by local video-rental operators because shopping habits and population density in Taiwan and the US are different, a local video-rental chain official said.
"People in the US may prefer to buy videos instead of renting them because returning videos can be a troublesome thing for those living in areas with sparse population and few shops," said an official at Asia 1 (
"The price of buying a DVD can run as high as NT$900 here," the official said.
Renting costs only NT$100 at the most and is comparatively beneficial for consumers in densely-populated Taiwan," the official said.
What is really damaging the industry here is the rampant piracy problem, Lee said.
"In addition to the slow economy, pirated videos that used to be sold in night markets can now be downloaded from the Internet for free, further worsening the situation," he said.
It has been reported that the piracy problem is what forced Blockbuster to withdraw from Hong Kong, but Lee dismissed that claim. Instead, he attributed the closing of Blockbuster's Hong Kong operation to high operation costs, including rents.
But piracy remains the biggest concern for the industry, another industry veteran said.
"Pirated videos may account for over 50 percent of all digital video discs and compact discs that you can find in Taiwan, which greatly threatens the industry," said Joseph Yuen (
Deltamac imports videos from many of the world's largest movie producers and distributors, including 20 Century Fox and New Line Production, Inc.
"We do hope the government can put more effort into combating piracy and protecting the industry from sales losses caused by this crime," the official at Asia 1 said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his