As sales results began to trickle in Friday, it became clear that this year's holiday season was only ho-hum for most retailers in the US, far from the one bursting with consumer cheer they had once hoped for.
But it was at least an improvement from last year's holiday season, which was called the most disappointing in a decade. Estimates of the overall gain this year ranged from 3.5 percent to 5.7 percent Friday, with experts still holding fast to their projections of a month ago.
Instead of "disastrous" and "dismal," the words used to describe last year's holiday season, analysts and retailers used words like "normal" and "solid" this year -- with several adding "boring." In September, merchants had hoped for double-digit growth.
But as the season wound up -- most do not count the holidays ending until Dec. 31 -- there were some flip-flops on estimates for individual retailers.
Few this fall, for instance, could have guessed that Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, would stumble, heading for the low end of its forecast with a modest 3 percent to 5 percent gain this month -- in part because of a turnaround in the luxury goods market. High-end retailers like Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue reported strong sales coming into the holidays.
Friday, shoppers, starved by the lack of across-the-board discounting at major retailers before Christmas, packed stores advertising early bird specials. At Saks, a chain not known for discounts, the doors opened at 8am to welcome shoppers who had lined up for marked-down merchandise lowered by an additional 40 percent.
By 11am, Kimiko Takiota, 21, and her mother, Noriko Takiota, 51, who were shopping on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, were already clutching three big red Saks bags, which contained, among other things, three pairs of Ferragamo shoes.
"They were US$350, US$400 for all of them," said the younger Takiota, an au pair in Philadelphia. "In Toyko, they are US$600 a pair!"
"Yes, yes, bargains," added Mrs. Takiota, who was visiting the US for the first time.
At the flagship Macy's store in Herald Square, crowds fingered everything from cappuccino makers to T-shirts, much of it marked down 50 percent.
The retail winners, some of them surprising, that emerged Friday included Sharper Image, Chico's, which markets clothing with a bit of pizazz to baby-boomer women, and Amazon.com. Chico's and Sharper Image raised their earnings estimates.
Partly because three snowstorms blanketed much of the Northeast during two valuable shopping weekends, consumers turned more to the Internet and to catalog sellers like LL Bean for their gifts. One analyst said LL Bean and Lands' End, the catalog merchant owned by Sears, both set records in the five days before Christmas -- as did QVC, a cable television shopping show -- but no one was available at the companies to confirm that Friday.
As for online sales, the National Retail Federation predicted Friday that they would increase to US$95.6 billion for the full year from US$75.7 billion last year, 5 percent to 7 percent of total retail spending. Last year, online apparel sales were 28 percent higher than they were in 2001; this year, they were 54 percent higher than last year, according to the group.
The federation, based in Washington, defended its estimate for a 5.7 percent increase, which has been criticized by some analysts as too generous. The federation's estimate includes sales through the last week of December, which some others do not, said Ellen Tolley, a spokeswoman.
"It also includes the Internet, small independent stores and stores that might not report comp-store sales," she said, referring to the industry yardstick that compares this year's sales to last year's in stores open at least a year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his