The IMF has lowered its 2003 growth forecast for the dozen nations sharing the euro, citing the threat of war with Iraq that's hanging over the world economy, according to an Italian Treasury official.
The IMF predicts the euro region will expand 1.3 percent, compared with its forecast of 2.3 percent just five months ago, said the official, in Paris for a meeting of finance ministers and central bankers from the G7 major industrial nations.
The likelihood of a war in the Persian Gulf region, where the US and UK are deploying 225,000 troops, is causing companies and consumers to spend less, said the official, who asked to be unidentified. US Treasury Secretary John Snow voiced that concern earlier.
Iraq is an ``overhang, affecting investment decisions and causing people to postpone investment decisions,'' Snow told reporters in Paris.
The world's three largest economies -- the US, Japan and Germany -- are struggling to expand, while the Bush administration and the EU are at odds on policies from tax and budget deficits to waging war on Iraq.
The euro area probably grew by 0.8 percent last year, its slowest rate in a decade, according to the European Union.
An IMF official said Monday that a war in Iraq may cut global economic growth in half from last year. Growth may fall to as little as 1.5 percent this year from 3 percent in 2002, Rogerio Zandamela, the IMF's representative in Brazil, said during conference on the world's economy.
Without a war, global growth may accelerate to as much as 3.5 percent this year, Zandamela said, citing preliminary statistics.
The IMF will release its World Economic Outlook in April.
The signs of weakening are widespread throughout Europe.
Germany's gross domestic product gained 0.2 percent last year, its smallest increase since 1993. The US economy, the world's largest, grew at a 0.7 percent annual pace in the fourth quarter, from 4 percent in the July-September period. Japan's economy, aided by a surge in fourth-quarter exports, still grew only 0.3 percent last year.
While the UK economy has avoided recession, its 1.7 percent growth last year was the slowest in a decade.
The IMF's chief economist Kenneth Rogoff said earlier this month that Iraq is adding to the uncertainty among investors, making the world's economic recovery more "tepid." Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan and the chief executives of companies such as Dupont Co have identified the war tension as the biggest obstacle to stronger growth.
"Fear of a `bad war' is putting a constraint on growth, but this does not mean a delay is good for the economy," Lehman Brothers said in a report today. "A lack of resolution in Iraq could hurt the [world] economy."
Snow began his first round of meetings with the world's top finance ministers by arguing that if Congress endorsed President George W. Bush's proposed US$690 billion package of tax cuts by mid-year, the US economy would expand 3.3 percent this year.
That would allow the US to play its part in boosting a weak global economy by boosting equities, creating 500,000 new jobs and helping to stoke growth around the world, he said, according to US officials.
Bush's tax-cut plan may raise the US budget deficit to a record US$307 billion next year. The Japanese government will cut taxes by ¥1.8 trillion (US$14.9 billion) in the fiscal year starting April 1.
By contrast, EU budget rules are forcing some countries to scale back tax cuts and others to raise taxes.
Planned tax increases in Germany may cost companies as much as 17 billion euros a year.
"The economies aren't doing as badly as all that and have held up well to the various shocks that have occurred in the past two or three years," French Finance Minister Francis Mer said yesterday. "We need to find ways of improving the situation even more, irrespective of the situation in which we find ourselves."
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his