PCCW Ltd, Hong Kong's biggest phone company, has asked more than 2,000 workers to take a pay cut of as much as 20 percent as it moves them into a new network company to reduce costs.
Workers who don't accept the terms may be fired on Dec. 20, said Chan Wing Wa, the unit's managing director.
The affected workers represent about three-quarters of the 3,000 staff that PCCW plans to shift into Cascade Ltd, a new technical services unit.
The phone company, controlled by Richard Li, son of billionaire Li Ka-shing (李嘉誠), is trying to cut costs because its core fixed-line revenue is falling and it needs cash to pare US$4.2 billion in net debt.
"It's a good move to repair the company's financial position," said Ambrose Chang, who helps manage US$400 million of stock at Daiwa International Capital Management Asia.
"The company is feeding a huge workforce while facing difficulty in finding growth in its local market," Chang said.
PCCW shares fell as much as 3.7 percent. They traded at HK$1.32, down HK$0.03, or 2.2 percent, as of 12:29 p.m.
The phone company said the average salary cut will be "approximately 10 percent" and it will reimburse workers for the lost pay in the first year, with payments in January and September.
"There will be no alternative redeployment opportunities within PCCW for employees who choose not to accept the offer to join Cascade," the company said in a statement.
The plan for Cascade comes less than a month after PCCW turned 11 percent of its workers into subcontractors, reducing its workforce to 12,000 from 13,500. Unlike those workers, the staff who move to Cascade will remain part of PCCW.
The phone company has in addition fired about 1,858 employees since July 2001. Sales at its fixed-line phone business fell 9 percent in the first half of this year on increased competition and weak demand caused by Hong Kong's economic slump.
A "small number" of workers will be fired as a result of the creation of Cascade, Chan said, without elaborating.
"We won't accept any firing, and any salary cut will be opposed," said Leung Ting To, chairman of the PCCW employees' general union.
The union hasn't yet held a meeting of its members to discuss their response, he said.
PCCW expects the salary cut to reduce its own costs by 10 percent, Leung said, citing Chan.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his