Huang Qiaoling was short more than 29 million yuan (US$3.5 million) of the 30 million yuan he needed to start the tourist and entertainment business he had envisioned.
So, as with most of China's entrepreneurs, the son of a farmer from China's eastern Zhejiang province was forced to begin by borrowing the start-up capital from friends in 1994.
Eight years later, from inside the oval office of his million-dollar Washington White House replica in the eastern city of Hangzhou, Huang rules over the Song Dynasty Town Group, a Disneyland-like empire worth 4 billion yuan.
The self-made entrepreneur is testament to market forces at work in China's fast-changing economy and the growing role of private enterprise in an increasingly affluent and modern nation.
Official statistics show private firms contributed 27 percent of China's 9.5 trillion yuan (US$1.1 trillion) gross domestic product last year, becoming a major engine of economic growth as well as bringing hope it will relieve the nation's massive joblessness.
Yet despite the clear paradigm shift in China's centrally dictated economic policies, getting a business of the ground remains a murky process which requires navigating a web of personal and political relationships and deals as complex as they are risky.
For hopeful entrepreneurs, the avenues to the acquisition of seed capital remain restricted, and those who are fortunate enough to have wealthy family and friends usually turn to them.
Other than personal favours, to begin a business independently needs approaching another firm with a good business plan or finding one of a handful of the country's venture capital firms, said China Europe International Business School management professor Zhang Weijiong.
Securing a government-sponsored incubator plan is another way, but that also requires capital.
Starting a business is very difficult without assets confirmed Huang, 44, whose group is made up of 20 tourist-related businesses in the eastern cities of Hangzhou, Nanjing and Ningbo and northeastern Dalian.
His own path to super-wealth could barely have begun in a more complex way, and Huang swears he would never choose to launch a business again.
It started with a 10 million yuan loan from friends. Huang promised to pay back borrowings with accruing annual interest rates of 20 percent.
He then persuaded a construction company to begin building hundreds of acres of an amusement park that include models of Amsterdam, Venice and ancient China streets without a down payment, promising 20 percent annual interest until the project was completed.
As building began, Huang insured the project at a value of 20 million yuan. That contractual agreement allowed him to borrow an additional 10 million yuan from banks.
Finally Huang asked a friend in Hong Kong to deposit 10 million yuan in a local bank and used that deposit as a guarantee on the next 10 million loan.
Such means were not an option for Shanghai's Yellow Submarine pizza chain co-owner Wu Dingming who sunk all his cash with an American business partner into his first pizza shop in 1994.
"It was not a big amount of money, but I was lucky that many foreigners came to my restaurant on the first day of business," he said.
"In China private business has little access to bank loans."
Ye Enguo, general secretary of the quasi-governmental Shanghai Private Enterprise Association explained that acquiring capital for a new business is an obstacle for many entrepreneurs.
"Currently, private firms still have problems borrowing money from banks. One reason is because Shanghai has not set up a reliable credit network," he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his