Nokia, the world's top mobile-phone manufacturer, bucked the trend in a gloomy telecom market by announcing a 10 percent increase in first-half profits.
But despite relatively strong profits, Nokia disappointed markets by trimming its full-year earnings, networks operating margins and global handsets sales projections, with chief executive Jorma Ollila warning the sector would not show dramatic improvement until next year.
"Economic conditions in the latter part of the year will continue to be hard," he said.
Nokia's profits were in the upper range of analysts' estimates, and the price of its shares initially rose on the news in Helsinki before falling back 4.11 percent to close at 13.77 euros.
Other telecom stocks across Europe reacted mildly to the Nokia report, with analysts saying the figures were largely expected following a mid-quarter report in June.
In Stockholm, Swedish rival Ericsson, which is to publish its report for the first half on Friday, fell and then rose before going flat at 14.90 kronor, while in Paris, Alcatel was up 3.48 percent at 7.14 euros.
Nokia announced net profits had risen to 1.72 billion euros, but slipped by 3 percent to 1.82 billion euros excluding goodwill amortization and non-recurring items.
Sales dropped to 13.9 billion euros in the second half, and the group trimmed its full-year earnings per share guidance to 0.79-0.84 euros from the 0.83 euros previously announced.
Recent months have seen growing concerns about the future of the telecom industry, which is crippled by debts amid doubt about whether new technology will be as profitable as forecast.
In addition, there have been repeated delays in the launch of third-generation mobile telephony technology, featuring sound and image messaging and mobile e-mail and which is considered key to the sector's revival.
As a result, Nokia's Networks division posted a 52 percent decline in operating profit in the first half.
The group said its overall sales growth would be driven by volume deliveries of a number of advanced high value-added models during the second half and revenue from 3G network sales, "assuming the necessary technology milestones are satisfied."
The delays have also affected mobile phone sales, as customers postpone the purchase of new handsets until the new services are available.
Nokia cut its full-year global handset sales forecast to 400 million from the 400-420 million seen previously. The new outlook is in line with that predicted Wednesday by US mobile phone maker Motorola.
"I was expecting neutral or slightly negative results and this is slightly disappointing," Mika Metsaelae, a telecoms analyst at Kaupthing Sofi said.
"Important is Nokia's third-quarter guidance which is considerably lower. If they want to reach their full year earnings per share, there is a big pressure for the fourth quarter," he said.
Nokia said meanwhile it expected its full-year market share to show an increase on last year's 37 percent, leaving its rivals in the dust.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort