Qatar has plans to invest in Germany, and has not ruled out a possible stake in ailing carmaker Opel, the emir of the Gulf state said in an interview published on Saturday.
“We will definitely invest in Germany,” Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani told the weekly Spiegel news magazine.
Following the example of Abu Dhabi’s decision to buy a 9.1 per-cent stake in German carmaker Daimler last week, al-Thani said the global economic crisis was a good opportunity to invest in Europe’s largest economy.
“The Germans count as the most industrious workers of the world, they will fight for their economy,” the Qatari emir said.
Al-Thani would not comment specifically on plans to become involved in General Motors subsidiary Opel, but said Qatar had an eye on the German car sector.
“It is certain that we will invest in the German car industry, but we need to find the right time and the right price to do so,” the sheikh said.
“It makes sense to become involved in a car manufacturer such as Opel or Daimler, since cars are sold worldwide,” al-Thani said.
The Qatari sheikh told Spiegel he wanted to ensure that the emirate’s wealth outlived its oil resources.
“Long-term, I see Qatar as more of an education center than energy supplier,” al-Thani said.
While several US universities have already set up shop in the emirate, he said the Europeans were being more reticent.
Qatar, the emir said, was just entering into discussions with British universities, but he said “Germany could approach us in a more engaged manner.”
On the subject of Qatar’s oil income, the emir said he’d be happy if oil prices stayed at US$40 to US$50 per barrel for the next few years, adding that it would in turn benefit their country if the global economy improved.
“I don’t see why OPEC should throttle production, just to keep the oil price high,” the emir said.
At the start of their first-ever virtual World Health Assembly (WHA), WHO member states agreed to delay a controversial discussion on granting Taiwan observer status until later in the year. The agreement came after WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pledged to launch an independent probe to review the coronavirus pandemic response as soon as possible, and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) announced that China would provide US$2 billion over two years to fight the coronavirus pandemic and its economic fallout. Despite the US and other members stepping up pressure in recent days, the WHA unanimously agreed to postpone a decision on observer
Another automatic 30-day visa extension for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before March 21 this year has been granted, Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) announced yesterday during the Central Epidemic Command Center’s (CECC) daily news briefing. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had granted an initial automatic 30-day visa extension on March 21 for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before that date with a visa waiver, visitor’s visa or landing visa — and another on April 17, as part of tightened border control measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. Many foreigners who arrived in Taiwan on holidays or for
PROTEST SENT: Despite a wave of international support Taiwan did not receive an invite, which means that it and all WHO members would lose out, the two ministers said Taiwan deeply regrets and is very dissatisfied that it was not invited to attend the annual World Health Assembly (WHA), which began a virtual meeting yesterday, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) and Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said. During the Central Epidemic Command Center’s daily news conference, Chen, who heads the center, said that as of 2pm, Taiwan had not received an invitation to the meeting, which was to begin at 6pm Taiwan time. “We put in our efforts [to get invited] up until the last moment, but it seems that we are unlikely to be invited,
US lawmakers and officials are crafting proposals to push US companies to move operations or key suppliers out of China that include tax breaks, new rules and carefully structured subsidies. Interviews with a dozen current and former government officials, industry executives and members of Congress show widespread discussions underway — including the idea of a “reshoring fund” originally stocked with US$25 billion — to encourage US companies to drastically revamp their relationship with China. US President Donald Trump has long pledged to bring manufacturing back from overseas, but the spread of COVID-19 and related concerns about US medical and food supply chains