Air France-KLM, Europe’s biggest airline, said yesterday it had swung to a heavy loss in the final three months of last year as the economic crisis reduced demand for flights and cargo traffic.
The group said the results “reflected the increasing severity of the economic downturn” and it announced it would cut 1,000 to 1,200 jobs this year through a hiring freeze and by not replacing retirees.
In the final quarter of last year — the third quarter of Air France-KLM’s financial year — the group said it had made a net loss of 505 million euros (US$650 million) and an operating loss of 194 million euros.
A year earlier, it reported net profit of 139 million euros.
The net loss was much wider than an estimated loss of 274 million euros on average forecast by a consensus survey of 10 analysts provided by the company.
Revenues for the quarter were 5.97 billion euros, marginally lower than the 5.98 billion euros of the year before.
Air France-KLM, like other airlines, has had a tough year, facing record high fuel prices in the first half of the year and then a recessionary economic environment in the second.
For its full year results, which end on March 31, the group said it still expected to make an operating profit.
The company’s stock closed on Thursday at 7.73 euros a share. The stock is down from 18.09 euros a year ago. For the job losses, a spokesperson said this would be achieved without redundancies.
“There aren’t redundancies at Air France,” she said, adding that staff levels had been reduced by 2,000 last year.
The job losses reflected lower capacity on routes where smaller planes are being used or fewer flights are planned, she said.
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South