China has one of the world's oldest culinary traditions, but the popularity of its food is slumping miserably in Japan's lucrative market after a scare over poisoned dumplings.
At Foodex Japan, one of Asia's largest food exhibitions, China's booths were comparatively quiet as wholesalers and restaurant owners looked elsewhere to supply food to consumers in Asia's largest economy.
"Compared with last year, we have seen a huge impact because of the incident," said a Chinese manager of Meikeduo Foods Co (美客多食品) at Foodex Japan, which opened on Tuesday in suburban Tokyo.
"After the incident, we introduced stricter safety controls of the products while advertising our efforts to the public," said the manager, who declined to be named.
About 2,400 companies from 59 regions and states are taking part in Foodex, formally known as the 33rd International Food and Beverage Exhibition.
More than 100 Chinese companies set up their booths -- but none were selling dumplings.
Earlier this year at least 10 Japanese people were hospitalized after eating Chinese-made dumplings laced with pesticide. China, whose soaring economy is built on exports, has denied the contamination took place at one of its factories, setting off a spat with Japan.
Japan imports 60 percent of its food, giving it the lowest self-sufficiency rate among the G7 rich nations. China is Japan's second largest provider of food after the US.
But the Japan Management Association, one of Foodex's hosting institutions, said the Chinese section had been scaled down to two-thirds of the space given last year.
Meikeduo, which produces processed chestnuts and canned fruits, was the only company from Hebei Province near Beijing where the dumplings were produced.
Tadashi Yoshida, deputy general manager of the Japan Management Association, denied the reduction in space had anything to do with the dumpling scare.
"We asked the Chinese representative to select participating companies more strictly this year," Yoshida said.
However, Japanese supermarkets and other companies have already reported economic fallout from the scare over Chinese food.
The health ministry said the government has ordered the recall of 68 food products from China imported by 18 Japanese firms.
Japan Tobacco Inc, which imported the frozen dumplings from the Tianyang Food (天洋食品) plant, announced last week it would boost its own production of frozen foods.
Daiei Inc, one of Japan's major supermarket chains, said its sales of frozen food were down 30 percent from a year earlier about a week after the news of the poisoned dumplings broke.
Sales of domestic onions, pork and beef had all shot up by more than 150 percent.
But the scare has not ended the Japanese taste for Chinese food.
The Taiwanese section at Foodex was more vibrant, with Chimei (
"We have received at least twice or three times more orders from Japanese retailers," said Jimmy Fujiwara, chief manager of Chimei's Japan division.
"Mass retailers had chosen Chinese manufacturers because of lower costs," he said. "But they are now looking to outsource outside of China regardless of how much it costs."
In a sign of how far the scare has reached, a top Japanese lawmaker this week tried a joke about Chinese food.
Yuriko Koike, the former defense and environment minister, said in a speech on Monday: "A suicidal Chinese man swallowed pesticide, but survived because it was mislabelled. Then he celebrated by eating dumplings and died from poisoning."
"What a black joke," she said.
The joke is certainly not funny for the Chinese firms at the food exhibition.
"If the impact lingers, it will benefit neither Japan or China," said Zhang Tianfei, president of Fuzhou Chungming Tea Enterprises Co (
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very