Chrysler Group will introduce a Chinese-made small car in the US next year that retails for about half the price of its cheapest model, as it seeks to win back market share from Toyota Motor Corp and Honda Motor Co.
The carmaker will begin selling Chery Automobile Co's A1 hatchback in the first quarter of next year, Chery president Yin Tongyao (尹同耀) said in Beijing yesterday. The 1.3-liter A1 is priced from 53,800 yuan (US$7,100) in China. Chrysler's least expensive US model is the US$13,850 Dodge Caliber, according to Edmunds.com.
Yin didn't say how much the A1 would cost in the US.
Chrysler, set to be the first US automaker to import cars from China, also plans to close a plant at home after reporting a loss last year and slipping to fourth place in US sales. Working with Chery will allow the company to add models able to compete with Toyota's Yaris with less investment.
"This is the start of a very long relationship between Chrysler and Chery," Chrysler Group president and chief executive Tom LaSorda said in a statement yesterday.
"Chery's participation in this agreement and their focus on small and sub-compact cars will have a nearly immediate effect on Chrysler Group's offerings in the small-vehicle segments," LaSorda said.
"This strategic partnership is part of a new business model that is allowing us to introduce all-new products more quickly, with less capital spending," he said.
Chrysler plans to sell current and future Chery models worldwide. Chery may eventually build as many as 100,000 vehicles a year for Chrysler, Yin said at a signing ceremony yesterday, without providing a timeframe.
The capacity can also be expanded in future, he added.
The US automaker aims to begin selling Chery-made vehicles under its Dodge brand in Latin America and Eastern Europe by the end of the year, LaSorda said.
ATTACK UNLIKELY: China would become ‘pariahs internationally for just the wanton destruction of Taiwan’ and would have little to gain from it, Trump’s security adviser said A top White House official on Friday urged Taiwan to build up its military capabilities to protect against a possible invasion by China, saying that Beijing would have that ability in 10 to 15 years. US President Donald Trump’s National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien told the Aspen Security Forum that a missile attack by China against Taiwan would be much too destructive. An amphibious attack is a possibility, although at the moment it is beyond China’s capability, he said. However, China could combine that threat with “gray zone” operations, embargoes, harassment and other actions to intimidate the nation if Taipei does not build
TAKES THE CAKE: Chinese diplomats tried to take photographs of people attending a National Day event in Suva, before reportedly assaulting a Taiwanese diplomat The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday condemned the Chinese embassy in Fiji over a fracas at its Double Ten National Day event at a Suva hotel, while a lawmaker demanded that the ministry file a lawsuit against Chinese embassy personnel for injuring a Taiwanese diplomat at the event. The Grubsheet news blog on Sunday and New Zealand-based Asia-Pacific Report Web site yesterday reported that two members of the Chinese embassy in Suva tried to force their way into a celebration held by the Taipei Trade Office in Fiji at the Grand Pacific Hotel on Oct. 8 to take photographs of
TAIPEI REACTIONS: Joanne Ou decried China’s ‘gangster diplomacy,’ while MOFA said its Fiji counterpart dealt fairly with the incident and protected the trade office’s rights The world should denounce the actions of Chinese embassy staffers in Fiji against a Taiwanese diplomat during a National Day celebration in Suva, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday as it thanked the Fijian government for its help after the Oct. 8 incident. Two Chinese diplomats tried to force their way into a celebration held by the Taipei Trade Office in Fiji at the Grand Pacific Hotel in Suva on Oct. 8, and a Taiwanese diplomat who tried to stop them taking photographs suffered a head injury. MOFA spokeswoman Joanne Ou (歐江安) told a news briefing that the ministry
TIT FOR TAT? Messages sent through channels have urged Washington to drop its prosecutions of Chinese researchers or see Americans put at risk Chinese officials warned their US counterparts as early as the summer that they might detain Americans in China if the US does not stop prosecuting Chinese academics linked to the Chinese military, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported on Saturday, citing people familiar with the matter. China sent repeated warnings through multiple channels, including the US embassy in Beijing, the report said. The message has been blunt: The US should drop prosecutions of the Chinese academics in US courts, or Americans in China might find themselves in violation of Chinese law, the newspaper cited sources as saying. The US has charged several