Qantas Airways Ltd raised its profit forecast for the second time since December yesterday after reporting a 1.7 percent rise in net profit for the first half of its financial year.
The result confirmed Australian airline as one of few major international carriers to be profitable and came less than a week after a private investment group formally launched its A$11.1 billion (US$8.6 billion) bid to take it over.
Qantas' board recommended the takeover deal to shareholders, 90 percent of whom must support it for it to succeed. The bid was made by Airline Partners Australia, a group led by Australia's Macquarie Bank and the Fort Worth-based Texas Pacific Group.
The airline reported a net profit of A$358.7 million in the six months through December, up slightly from A$352.8 million in the same period a year earlier.
Chairwoman Margaret Jackson said strong passenger demand and efficiency improvements at Qantas in the past three years were among the reasons.
The company, which on Dec. 1 raised its full-year net profit forecast to up to 30 percent more than the previous fiscal year, upgraded that to as much as 40 percent yesterday.
"We believe that the full-year result will be around 30 percent to 40 percent higher than last year's result subject to fuel costs not increasing significantly, demand continuing to grow and cost reductions not achieved in the first-half being realized in the second half," the airline said in a statement.
Qantas didn't cite a figure for its forecast, but a 40 percent increase would bring full-year profit to A$670 million from A$479.5 million for the fiscal year ended June 30, last year, when profit fell 30 percent on skyrocketing fuel costs.
The takeover bid, which is being reviewed by government regulators the Foreign Investment Review Board and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, closes March 9.
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
The Czech Republic’s Senate on Wednesday passed a resolution that supports a possible visit by the senate president to Taiwan. The resolution, initiated by Czech Senator Pavel Fischer, was passed with 50 votes in favor, one against and one abstention. The resolution blasts Beijing for having its Prague embassy send a letter to former Czech Senate president Jaroslav Kubera earlier this year threatening repercussions for Czech businesses if he visited Taiwan. The resolution shows the Senate’s support for a visit to Taiwan by Senate President Milos Vystrcil, accompanied by Czech business representatives, as the visit would be in the diplomatic long-term interests
The government and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday both spoke out against plans by the Chinese government to enact a national security law in Hong Kong. Chinese officials yesterday confirmed that the National People’s Congress would review a bill “on establishing and improving the legal system and enforcement mechanisms for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to safeguard national security.” The Presidential Office said that the announcement was evidence that the “one country, two systems” framework fundamentally clashes with democratic freedoms. The de-escalation of tensions between Hong Kong and Beijing relies on the Chinese government’s willingness to respond to Hong Kongers’ demands,