Unionized workers at Hyundai Motor Co began a promised partial strike yesterday amid a dispute with management over bonuses, a union official said.
The walkout, which was approved last week by union rep-resentatives, began as scheduled yesterday afternoon, said Jung Jun-yung, head of the union's overseas cooperation department.
Unionized workers plan to lay down tools yesterday for a total of eight hours at three different factories.
Hyundai Motor confirmed the strike was under way, company spokesman Jake Jang said.
Hyundai asked the Ulsan District Court to issue an order barring the walkout, Jang said, but added that no decision had yet been reached.
Ulsan is an industrial city 415km southeast of Seoul where the world's sixth-largest automaker has its main factory.
Labor troubles are a near constant headache for Hyundai. The company's union has gone on strike every year but one since it was established in 1987.
Under the strike plan, workers will carry out normal shifts today, but expand the strike tomorrow to a total of 12 hours at each of the three factories. They will decide whether to take further action, if any, tomorrow.
A total of 400 representatives voted unanimously last Friday for the 44,000-strong member union to walk off the job.
Unionized workers have refused to work overtime since Dec. 28 after workers received a bonus equal to one month's salary, which they say is less than the agreed amount of a payment equal to 1.5 months.
The company said the latter total was based on an incentive to reach the company's production target last year, and since that was not achieved because of strikes the payment was reduced.
"There would never have been a strike if the labor-management agreement had been realized," the union said on its Web site.
A week ago, Hyundai sued the union, seeking damages to help cover production losses caused by the refusal to do overtime.
Last year was Hyundai's worst ever in terms of strikes. A total of four walkouts cost Hyundai 118,293 vehicles in lost production costing 1.64 trillion won (US$1.75 billion), the company said.
Hyundai was also dogged by turmoil following the April arrest and jailing of its chairman Chung Mong-koo on embezzlement and breach of trust charges related to a slush fund scandal.
Chung, 68, was released from detention in late June on bail and returned to work after spending time in a hospital.
Chung is currently on trial and is due to appear in court today.
Shares of the automaker rose 0.3 percent yesterday to close at 64,100 won.
Swedish Member of Parliament Hampus Hagman is pushing for changing the name of the nation’s trade office in Taipei to signal improved relations with “Asia’s perhaps foremost democracy.” Hagman on Wednesday last week proposed renaming the Swedish Trade and Invest Council to “Sweden’s Office in Taipei,” following similar changes by other nations. The Swedish Trade and Invest Council, part of Business Sweden, is owned by the Swedish government and Swedish industry. Taiwan and Sweden share important values such as respect for democracy, human rights, the rule of law and freedom of speech, Hagman said in the motion, adding that the two nations
TWO CASES: The five allegedly conspired with conglomerates, threatening the nation’s governance and subverting the rules of ethical conduct, a deputy chief prosecutor said Taipei prosecutors yesterday charged three legislators and one former lawmaker with contravening the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例) in a case linked to former Pacific Distribution Investment Co (太平洋流通) chairman Lee Heng-lung’s (李恆隆) battle with the Far Eastern Group (遠東集團) over ownership of the Pacific SOGO Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨) chain, while independent Legislator Chao Cheng-yu (趙正宇) was indicted in a separate case involving two funeral services companies and a plot of land in a national park. Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators Chen Chao-ming (陳超明) and Sufin Siluko (廖國棟), Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清) and former New Power Party legislator
PENGHU INSPECTION: Taiwan cannot let its enemies strut around in its airspace, Tsai said, one day after a Chinese spokesman denied a median line exists in the Taiwan Strait Following China’s assertion on Monday that there is no “median line” in the Taiwan Strait, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday pledged to defend the nation’s airspace during a visit to an air force base in Penghu, saying that Taiwan cannot allow others to flex their military muscle in its territorial airspace. Tsai praised the “heroic performance” of the pilots of the Indigenous Defense Fighters who have been intercepting Chinese People’s Liberation Army Air Force planes in recent days. “I have a lot of confidence in you. As soldiers of the Republic of China [ROC], how could we let enemies strut
EFFICIENCY: The rules for Philippine arrivals were revised after 17.6% of arrivals with symptoms tested positive, compared with 0.7% of those with no symptoms Starting today, Chinese spouses who hold a reunion permit can apply to enter Taiwan and travelers without symptoms from the Philippines do not need to be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival, but are to be tested after a 14-day quarantine, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that from today, Chinese who are married to a Taiwanese citizen and hold a reunion permit can apply to the National Immigration Agency for entry into Taiwan. Chinese who are married to a foreign national and hold an accompanied reunion permit