Google raised US$4.18 billion on Wednesday night in a secondary offering, as investors tried to add to their holdings of a stock that has more than tripled since the company's initial offering a year ago.
Google's follow-on offering, in which it sold 14.2 million shares at US$295 each, was completed less than one month after it filed to sell 14.159 million shares (a number that matches the digits of the mathematical term pi with the initial 3 removed).
Google held an abbreviated road show, meeting with investors in a few cities, culminating with a lunch at the St. Regis Hotel in New York on Wednesday.
The secondary offering appeared to be as smooth as Google's initial offering was tumultuous. When it went public, the company chose an unusual computerized auction process that confused many potential investors.
Its prospectus was filled with unusual phrases, like the company's credo: "don't be evil."
Its road show had so little information that some investors were offended. Ultimately, the offering was completed at US$85 a share, raising US$2 billion, much less than the company had initially hoped for.
The secondary offering, by contrast, was a traditional one in which sales representatives from brokerage firms took orders from investors, largely by telephone. And its prospectus had less bravado and only the typical warnings and disclosures.
"It's refreshing," said Jordan Rohan, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets, talking about Google's newfound conventional approach to raising capital. "They have changed the rules for information retrieval, but it's hard to change the rules on Wall Street."
Google's shares have skyrocketed since its initial offering, largely because the company has grown faster and become much more profitable than investors had expected.
The follow-on offering price of US$295 was slightly less than the US$303 that Google's shares closed at on Wednesday.
Such a discount is traditional when a company is trying to sell a large block of stock at one time. Indeed, this was the largest follow-on stock offering in at least a decade.
Google's shares had risen sharply from US$280 on the day the offering was announced to US$311.68 on Tuesday, leading some to speculate that Google's meetings with investors, which were closed to the public, offered new optimistic hints of Google's prospects.
William Harnish, the chief executive of Peconic Partners, a New York hedge fund that owns Google shares, said he attended Google's presentation at the St. Regis and saw nothing new.
"It was typical Google name, rank and serial number," Harnish said. "In terms of information that is new or different, there was none."
He said that about 300 people attended the meeting, hardly filling the 20th-floor ballroom. Google did agree to have one-to-one meetings with some large investors, something it has refused to do over the last year.
Despite the lack of new information, Harnish said he hoped to buy shares in the offering to add to Peconic's holdings.
He said that Google was largely coy about what it planned to do with the money it raised.
"The only thing they said is they have no plan for what to do with the cash at this time," he said.
In the company's prospectus, it said it would use the money for "general corporate purposes" and possibly acquisitions.
Google did show a slide that compared the US$7 billion in cash it will have after the offering with the cash balances of its major rivals. Yahoo currently has about US$4 billion in cash, while Microsoft has US$49 billion.
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South