Governing lawmakers agreed yesterday to approve Australia's biggest-ever privatization, endorsing a multibillion-dollar plan to ensure that rural customers aren't stuck with poor service when former phone monopoly Telstra Corp is sold off, the prime minister announced.
Prime Minister John Howard's Cabinet gave the A$3.1 billion (US$2.4 billion) funding package its blessing at a meeting on Tuesday night, paving the way for the sale of the government's 51.8 percent stake in Telstra, which is expected to raise about A$30 billion.
Howard said the rest of the lawmakers in his governing coalition agreed to back the plan at a meeting yesterday.
Legislation to sell the government's stake will be presented in two weeks to parliament, where it faces heavy opposition from other parties who are worried that privatizing Telstra will cause service in rural areas, where there is less competition, to suffer.
Public opposition is also strong. A poll by the respected Newspoll agency published in the Australian newspaper on Tuesday found that 70 percent of respondents oppose the sale of the government's controlling stake in Telstra.
One rural-based lawmaker, Senator Barnaby Joyce, a newly elected senator for the coalition government's junior partner, the Nationals, had threatened to block the sale, unless standards for rural phone and Internet services are improved.
But following the Cabinet's decision on the funding plan, Joyce said he had achieved everything he had sought in negotiations with government ministers.
With the backing of all lawmakers in the ruling coalition, the legislation is guaranteed to become law because Howard has majorities in both houses of Parliament.
"The decision that we've taken today will, I believe, reflect a fundamental reality and that is, that it is quite counterproductive and not in the national interest for the Australian government to own more than half of the largest company in Australia," Howard told reporters.
The funding package includes A$1.1 billion to roll out improved Internet and cell phone services in rural areas over four years.
It also includes a A$2 billion trust fund that will ensure money is available to bolster standards of services outside cities in the future.
American Sol Trujillo earlier this year took over as the company's chief executive.
Howard said the government's 6 billion shares were expected to sold next year, although the precise timing had not yet been decided.
Telstra shares have slumped since the last tranche of government-owned stock was offloaded at A$7.40 apiece in 1999. The stock dropped A$0.01 to A$4.85 yesterday afternoon shortly after Howard's announcement.
Treasurer Peter Costello, the ranking finance minister, refused to commit the government to waiting until the price rebounded to the A$5.25 a share that the government had expected earlier this year to make from the sale.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying