PeopleSoft on Tuesday announced a broad partnership with IBM, in an attempt to show that it is moving forward aggressively despite the turmoil created by Oracle's US$7.7 hostile takeover bid. \nPeopleSoft's chief executive, Craig Conway, told more than 11,000 corporate customers gathered for its annual user convention that the deal with IBM would help PeopleSoft customers adapt to changing technology. The deal, which has been in the works for several months, calls for a combined investment by the two companies of at least US$1 billion over the next five years. \nSince Oracle began its takeover effort in June 2003, Conway has said that the move was causing some customers to consider not buying PeopleSoft products, a situation that the company estimates has cost it more than US$1 billion in lost revenue. The IBM deal seemed intended to let customers know that PeopleSoft was moving ahead in spite of all this. \nThe appearance was Conway's first in public since a federal judge in San Francisco ruled last Thursday against blocking Oracle's offer for PeopleSoft, the second-largest supplier of business automation software for corporations. The ruling removed a major obstacle to what could be the largest -- and perhaps the most acrimonious -- merger in software history. \nThe Justice Department, which sued Oracle more than a year ago in an effort to block the deal, has not yet announced whether it will appeal. \n"This year has sort of been like hearing beautiful music on a radio station with a lot of static," Conway said, in an interview after the announcement on Tuesday. \nConway told customers that the last 15 months had been "a nightmare," but that PeopleSoft was determined to fight off Oracle. \nThe struggle, he said, "has stretched our resources and challenged our values, but we didn't give up and we're not going to give up." \nThe partnership with IBM, which the companies say they will conclude in the fourth quarter, will help PeopleSoft make it easier for customers trying to tie together disparate software systems. PeopleSoft will provide the applications programs that customers interact with, while IBM, will provide the underlying technology. \nCustomers will also be able to choose alternate technology from Microsoft, BEA or others in place of the IBM software. \nConway said the agreement grew out of a deal that was already in the works when PeopleSoft purchased the software maker J.D. Edwards in July last year. \nCharles DiBona, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein & Co, said that the agreement was a fairly routine technology deal and that its significance would not be apparent until more details were available. \n"People like road maps," DiBona said, "and that's what this is." \nCustomers who want to take a different direction will simply do so, he said. \nEarlier on Tuesday, Oracle criticized PeopleSoft for a recent decision to increase severance pay for its staff, accusing it of reducing shareholder value. Conway defended the move, calling it "a natural reaction to the higher state of anxiety due to the court decision." \nHe said that the rise in severance pay actually increased the value of the company because it encouraged PeopleSoft employees to stay during a difficult time. \n"We're protecting our key asset," Conway said, "which is very common during a takeover."
HELPING HAND: Taiwan is ready to help other nations and will not sit idly by while the global fight against the coronavirus continues, President Tsai Ing-wen said Taiwan, as a responsible member of the international community, is to offer humanitarian assistance to nations hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic by sending them masks and medicine, as well as sharing with them an electronic system that the government has been using to track down people that need to be quarantined, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said yesterday. With the nation’s daily production having reached 13 million masks and soon to reach 15 million, the government is to donate 10 million masks to medical personnel in nations most severely affected by the coronavirus, Tsai said at the Presidential Office in Taipei. The
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
The Central Epidemic Command Center yesterday released a set of revised criteria for reporting suspected COVID-19 cases, while also announcing its guidelines for disclosing patients’ personal information. The center said that its advisory specialist panel revised the definition for “severe pneumonia with novel pathogens” — COVID-19 infection — by expanding the criteria needed to report suspected cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that physicians should report people for testing if they meet one of three clinical conditions: They have a fever, acute respiratory infection, or a lack of smell or taste; there is a