Prince Harry on Sunday said that he felt “great sadness,” but found “no other option” to cutting almost all of his and his wife Meghan’s royal ties in the hopes of achieving a more peaceful life.
The comments were Harry’s first public remarks since his split from the royal family was announced earlier this month.
Video of his speech was posted to the couple’s official Instagram account.
Harry said he did not make the decision lightly and praised his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, and the rest of his family for supporting him and his wife.
He called the decision “a leap of faith” and said he hoped the move would allow him and his family to achieve a “more peaceful life.”
During his speech at a charity event, Harry framed the decision as being at least in part because of press scrutiny, saying “the media is a powerful force.”
He said that he and Meghan intend to continue a life of service, and that his love and support for the UK is unwavering, but added that he needed to shed the royal ties he grew up with.
“We’re not walking away, and we are certainly not walking away from you,” Harry said. “Our hope was to continue serving the queen, the commonwealth and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible.”
Harry and Meghan plan to spend most of their time in Canada. Beginning this spring they are to stop using their “royal highness” titles and are to lose all access to public funds once they stop carrying out official functions.
Harry made the remarks at a dinner to support Sentebale, his Africa-based charity supporting youngsters with HIV.
He opened his speech noting that many in the audience had watched him grow up and said he wanted them “to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share, not as a prince, or a duke, but as Harry.”
Harry framed the decision to leave as his own, made on behalf of Meghan and their young son, Archie.
He said that Meghan shares his values and remains “the same woman I fell in love with.”
Turning to his relationship with the queen and other members of his family, he said: “I will always have the utmost respect for my grandmother — my commander in chief — and I’m incredibly grateful to her and the rest of my family for the support they have shown Meghan and I over the last few months.”
Four employees working with a French Christian charity who were kidnapped in Iraq in January have been released, France’s presidency said on Thursday. The release of the four men with SOS Chretiens d’Orient (Christians of the Middle East) comes just a day after France said it would withdraw its troops from Iraq due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The presidential Elysee Palace in Paris said that France had made “every effort to reach this outcome.” “The president expresses his gratitude to the Iraqi authorities for their cooperation,” the presidency said in a statement without adding details. SOS Chretiens d’Orient said on Twitter it welcomed the
‘DREADFUL’ ACTS: A British Supreme Court judge said that despite their ‘awful’ crimes, it would been unlawful to turn over evidence that could result in the death penalty A court on Wednesday barred the British government from providing US prosecutors with evidence against two Islamic State militants suspected in the beheadings of Western hostages, citing the prospect that the men could face the death penalty if tried and convicted in the US. The ruling by the British Supreme Court blocks an earlier decision by the country’s authorities to cooperate with the US by sharing information about El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey. The British men, captured two years ago by a Kurdish-led, US-backed militia, are accused of participation in a brutal Islamic State group known for beheadings and barbaric treatment
ECONOMY FIRST: Despite the rising number of cases, Donald Trump said the US was not built to shut down and he would love the country to open up by Easter US President Donald Trump on Tuesday declared the beginning of the end of the COVID-19 crisis in the US and called for a quick end to social distancing, even as New York Governor Andrew Cuomo compared the growing pandemic to a “bullet train.” Trump, who is keen to get his re-election campaign back on track, said that social distancing has caused too much pain to the US economy, prompting the US Congress to debate a historic rescue package. “Our country — it’s not built to shut down,” he said on Fox News. “You can destroy a country this way by closing it
As thousands of Hong Kongers and expatriates return to the territory, many are seeking refuge in hotels, fearful that cramped apartments in one of the world’s most expensive property markets could put their families or friends at risk. Social distancing is tough in Hong Kong, where most of the territory’s 7.4 million population live in apartments that on average are no bigger than 46m2. The concerns have triggered a spike in occupancy rates for those Hong Kong hotels prepared to take guests undergoing quarantine, even as most of the industry grapples with a devastating slump due to COVID-19. One expatriate who has lived