Iraqis across the country yesterday marched to mourn protesters killed in anti-government rallies, even turning out in Sunni areas where people were previously too afraid to join in.
Demonstrators have hit the streets since early October in Baghdad and the Shiite-majority south to demand the ouster of a government they accuse of being corrupt, inefficient and beholden to foreign powers.
After a spike in deaths this week raised the toll to more than 420 killed, Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi on Friday said he would submit his resignation to parliament.
The chamber was due to convene later yesterday, but no agenda had yet been published.
In the past few weeks, most Sunni-majority areas refrained from protesting, fearing that opposing the central government would earn them the labels of being “terrorists” or supporters of former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
However, after a spike in violence days ago left nearly 70 people dead across three cities, Iraqis in nearly all provinces turned out in solidarity.
In yesterday’s marches, hundreds of students dressed in black organized a mourning march in the northern city of Mosul, on the city’s university campus.
“It’s the least Mosul can give to the martyrs of Dhi Qar and Najaf,” said Zahraa Ahmed, a dentistry student, naming the two provinces where most recent victims were from. “The protesters are asking for their basic rights so the government should have answered from the beginning.”
Another student, Hussein Kheder, carrying an Iraqi flag, said the whole country was now on the same page politically.
“Now the government needs to answer to the protesters’ demands,” he told reporters.
In Salahaddin, another northern Sunni province where no rallies had taken place so far, authorities had already declared on Friday three days of mourning for the victims.
Eight other Shiite-majority provinces have announced yesterday a mourning day during which government offices would remain shut.
More than 20 people were killed in the shrine city of Najaf, 40 people in Nasiriyah and three in the capital, Baghdad.
An Agence France-Presse correspondent reported calm in Nasiriyah yesterday after three consecutive days of violence.
The protest hotspot is the birthplace of Abdel Mahdi, who came to power just a year ago based on a shaky alliance between rival parties.
He had resisted protesters’ calls for him to step down over the past two months.
However, the crackdown turned the tide this week, as it prompted Iraq’s top cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani to call on parliament to drop its support for Abdel Mahdi.
In quick succession, political factions indicated they would support a no-confidence vote.
However, it was not certain whether that vote would take place yesterday afternoon.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of