Thousands of North Korean women and girls — some as young as nine — are being trafficked into sexual slavery in China as they try to flee poverty and oppression in their homeland, experts on the North said yesterday.
The sexual exploitation of North Koreans generates at least US$105 million in annual profits for the Chinese underworld, according to a report by the non-profit Korea Future Initiative, which includes harrowing accounts from trafficked women.
“Victims are prostituted for as little as 30 Chinese yuan [US$4.30], sold as wives for just 1,000 yuan and trafficked into cybersex dens for exploitation by a global online audience,” said Yoon Hee-soon, the report’s author. “Many are sold more than once and are forced into at least one form of sexual slavery within a year of leaving their homeland.”
An estimated 60 percent of North Korean girls and women in China are trafficked into the sex trade, according to the report, which was to be released at an event at Britain’s parliament later in the day.
Nearly half are pressed into prostitution, about a third sold into marriage and most others pushed into cybersex, researchers said.
Many North Koreans are enslaved in brothels in districts in northeast China with large migrant worker populations, the report said.
Trafficking survivors said prostitutes in Shanghai were branded with tattoos such as lions and butterflies to show ownership and deter abductions by rivals.
Interviewees told of women dying from sexually transmitted diseases and abuse.
Girls and women enslaved in cybersex dens are usually aged between 12 and 29 but sometimes younger, the report said.
They are forced to perform sex acts or sexually assaulted in front of webcams.
A live-stream featuring a young girl can cost US$110, researchers said, adding that many subscribers appeared to be South Korean.
One woman, referred to as Ms Choi, told how she was taken to an apartment where she was shocked to see prepubescent girls.
“[There] was a bed in front of a table with a computer and webcam. Four men ... gang raped me. When the third man began raping me [I] was bleeding ... I cannot remember any more,” she said.
The report said women forced into marriage were mostly sold in rural areas for 1,000 to 50,000 yuan, and were raped and abused by their husbands.
Estimates of the number of North Koreans in China vary between 50,000 and 200,000.
China’s policy of detaining and repatriating North Koreans forces them to live in the shadows, placing them at high risk of exploitation, Yoon said.
Some are sold by policemen after arrest, the report said, while others are duped by traffickers offering to get them to countries where they can claim asylum.
Researchers said some trafficking networks stretched into North Korea where “sub-brokers” scour markets, villages and transport hubs for destitute-looking girls to fulfill orders from Chinese pimps and madams.
The London-based Korea Future Initiative urged all states to help North Koreans in China escape.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told