Rescuers pulled a survivor from rubble early yesterday in the wake of a massive explosion at a pesticide plant in eastern China that flattened buildings, blew out windows more than 1.6km away and killed at least 64 people.
More than two dozen people were still missing and hundreds had been injured in Thursday’s blast at the Chenjiagang Industrial Park in the city of Yancheng, in Jiangsu Province on China’s east coast, officials said.
The cause of the explosion was under investigation, but an editorial in the China Daily newspaper speculated it was likely to be identified as “a serious accident caused by human negligence.”
Photo: Yang Bo/CNS via Reuters
The company, Tianjiayi Chemical Co (天嘉宜化工) — which produces more than 30 organic chemical compounds, some highly flammable — had been cited and fined for work safety breaches in the past, the China Daily reported.
At the Xiangshui People’s Hospital yesterday morning, the ward corridors were filled with temporary beds for the wounded.
“I was just going to collect my wages when it blew up,” said a worker who identified himself as Zuo. His head was covered in bloody gauze.
“I don’t even have a home to go to now,” he said.
The hospital was relying on dozens of unpaid volunteers.
“No one is thinking about how people will pay their medical bills at the moment — the priority is rescuing them and worrying about fees later,” said one volunteer surnamed Jiang, who was sent to help out at the hospital by his employers on Friday.
Public anger over safety standards has grown in China over industrial accidents, ranging from mining disasters to factory fires, that have marred three decades of swift economic growth.
In 2015, 165 people were killed in explosions at a chemical warehouse in the northern city of Tianjin, one of the world’s busiest ports, which is not far from the capital, Beijing.
Those blasts were big enough to be seen by satellites and register on earthquake sensors.
Despite repeated government pledges to tighten safety, disasters have hit chemical plants in particular, with 23 people killed in November last year in a series of blasts during the delivery of a flammable gas at a chemical maker.
After the blast in Yancheng, police, some wearing face masks, sealed off roads to what was left of the devastated, smoldering plant.
The explosion smashed windows in the village of Wangshang 2km away. Stunned villagers compared it to an earthquake.
A provincial official yesterday said that the accident has shown that the market for dangerous chemicals has grown too quickly and production to meet demand has expanded too crudely.
Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), who is in Italy on a state visit, ordered all-out efforts to care for the injured and to “earnestly maintain social stability,” state television said.
Authorities must step up action to prevent such incidents and determine the cause of the blast as quickly as possible, Xi said.
“There has recently been a series of major accidents, and all places and relevant departments must fully learn the lessons from these,” the report cited Xi as saying.
An official told reporters that the priority was to ensure contaminated water does not leak into the public water supply system.
The Jiangsu Environmental Protection Bureau said late on Friday that a team of 126 inspectors found various degrees of contamination in local water samples, with nitrobenzene concentrations exceeding standards at one location.
Some volatile organic chemical measurements far exceeded surface water standards, 15 times over in one case, the bureau said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses