Two people were arrested in connection with the “criminal use of drones” at London Gatwick Airport, British police said yesterday, after three days of disruption affected tens of thousands of passengers during the pre-Christmas getaway.
Drones were first sighted hovering around Britain’s second-busiest air hub on Wednesday, grinding the runway to a standstill and causing chaos for more than 120,000 people.
“As part of our ongoing investigations into the criminal use of drones which has severely disrupted flights in and out of Gatwick Airport, Sussex Police made two arrests just after 10pm on December 21,” the force’s Superintendent James Collis said. “Every line of enquiry will remain open to us until we are confident that we have mitigated further threats to the safety of passengers.”
Police urged passengers and the public to remain vigilant around the airport, south of London, and report any further sightings.
Flights resumed on Friday after a new drone sighting briefly forced planes to be grounded as a “precautionary measure,” a Gatwick spokesman said.
Sussex Police said officers had been using “a range of tactics” to hunt for the mystery drone operators and “build resilience to detect and mitigate further incursions” from the device.
The dangers posed by drones include the possibility of a device smashing into a passenger plane or being sucked up into an engine where its highly flammable lithium battery could cause a catastrophe.
Passengers, many trying to get home for Christmas or to start their holidays, were advised to check the status of their flights before traveling to the airport.
On Friday morning, a Gatwick spokesman said 91 of the day’s 412 scheduled arrivals had been canceled, while 64 of 371 scheduled departures had also been scrapped.
The army was called in on Thursday to offer support, with the British Ministry of Defence deploying what was described only as specialist equipment.
“There are a range of measures which are there today which should give passengers confidence that they are safe to fly,” British Secretary of State for Transport Chris Grayling told the BBC on Friday.
British government officials held an emergency meeting to discuss the situation.
There had been more than 50 sightings of the device or devices since the first reports at 9pm on Wednesday and shooting down the drone had been considered as an option, Jason Tingley of Sussex Police said.
“We will do what we can to take that drone out of the sky and remove that disruption,” he said.
“Each time we believe we get close to the operator, the drone disappears. When we look to reopen the airfield the drone reappears,” Justin Burtenshaw, head of armed policing for Sussex and Surrey, said on Thursday.
Officers were working on the theory that there was more than one drone, Sussex Police Assistant Chief Constable Steve Barry said.
Before Friday’s sighting at 5:10pm, a drone had last been spotted at about 10pm on Thursday.
About 10,000 passengers were affected on Wednesday night, and a further 110,000 who had been due to either take off or land at the airport on 760 flights on Thursday.
Mike, from London, had his flight canceled on Friday and missed his connection to Ghana.
“We’re in limbo. We don’t actually know when we’ll be flying out at all because we haven’t been promised a rescheduled flight, we haven’t been promised any further information, any compensation. Nothing at all,” he said.
Darcis, 32, who was supposed to arrive from Milan on Thursday and had to sleep at the airport, said: “I cannot understand why such a small thing can cause an international airport like Gatwick [to close]. They should be ready for these things. I really don’t understand what we can do.”
The drama dominated Britain’s newspapers on Friday, with speculation that an eco-activist was responsible.
Gatwick, about 50km south of the British capital, is the eighth-busiest airport in Europe and sits behind Mumbai, India, as the world’s busiest single-runway air hub.
Inbound flights were diverted to other airports, including Paris, while passengers waiting to take off faced grueling delays.
KEEN INTEREST: India is trying to procure medical gear from domestic producers and abroad, and China has emerged as a possible supplier as its factories reopen India is to buy ventilators and masks from China to help it deal with COVID-19, a government official said yesterday, even though some countries in Europe had complained about the quality of the equipment. India has recorded 1,251 cases of the coronavirus, with 32 deaths, but health experts said the country of 1.3 billion people could see a major surge in cases that could overwhelm its weak public health system. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government said that it was trying to procure medical gear, including masks and body coveralls, both from domestic firms and from countries such as South Korea and
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500