A series of gas explosions one official described as “Armageddon” killed a teenager, injured at least 10 other people and ignited fires in at least 39 homes in three communities north of Boston on Thursday, forcing entire neighborhoods to evacuate as crews scrambled to fight the flames and shut off the gas.
Lawrence resident Leonel Rondon, 18, died after a chimney toppled by an exploding house crashed into his car, authorities said.
He was rushed to a Boston hospital, but pronounced dead there in the evening, they added.
Massachusetts State Police in the afternoon urged all residents with homes serviced by Columbia Gas in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover to evacuate, snarling traffic and causing widespread confusion as residents and local officials struggled to understand what was happening.
“It looked like Armageddon, it really did,” Andover Fire Chief Michael Mansfield told reporters. “There were billows of smoke coming from Lawrence behind me. I could see pillars of smoke in front of me from the town of Andover.”
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker said state and local authorities are investigating, but that it could take days or weeks before they turn up answers.
A man whose neighborhood was among dozens that erupted in fire said he ran into his basement to find that the room was glowing.
Lawrence resident Ra Nam said he was in his yard when the smoke detector in his basement went off at about 4:30pm.
When he ran downstairs and saw the boiler on fire, he quickly grabbed a fire extinguisher and put it out, he said.
Minutes later, Nam said he heard a loud boom from his neighbor’s house and the ground shook.
A woman and two kids had made it out of the house, but the basement was on fire, he said.
Lawrence resident Bruce Razin was among the evacuees standing outside the Colonial Heights neighborhood near the city’s high school later that day trying to decide what to do next.
Officials had cut power in the area and the streets were pitch black, save for emergency vehicle lights.
Razin said he arrived just as residents were being evacuated and immediately saw that the house two doors down was leveled from an explosion.
“I couldn’t imagine if that was my house,” said Razin, who purchased his home nearly two years ago. “It’s total destruction. I’d be completely devastated.”
With a backpack full of personal items he had hastily grabbed, he said he would head to his mother’s home a few towns over for the night.
Lawrence General Hospital said it was treating four victims with injuries related to the fires, but did not provide details about their conditions.
The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency blamed the fires on gas lines that had become over-pressurized, but officials who responded to the area were still investigating the cause.
Columbia Gas was working to ease pressure on gas lines following the fires, state officials said.
Columbia Gas had announced earlier in the day that it would be upgrading gas lines in neighborhoods across the state, including the area where the explosions happened.
It was not clear whether work was happening there on Thursday, and a spokeswoman did not immediately return calls.
Reached by telephone, some local officials described scenes of panic as residents rushed to evacuate, many wondering if their homes would be next to erupt in flames.
North Andover Selectman Phil Decologero said his entire neighborhood had gathered in the street, afraid to enter their homes.
Just a few streets down homes were burning, he said.
“It’s definitely a scary situation at the moment,” he said. “It’s pretty severe.”
Aerial footage of the area showed some homes that appeared to be torn apart by blasts.
Schools and senior citizen centers were being opened as gathering points for residents who fled their homes.
Lawrence City Councilor Marc Laplante said entire neighborhoods were being evacuated in the Colonial Heights area, which he represents.
“People need to get out of this area safely,” he said at the time. “It’s really difficult, because the traffic right now is horrendous.”
Joseph Solomon, the police chief in nearby Methuen, said 20 to 25 homes were on fire in Lawrence when he responded to help.
There were so many fires “you can’t even see the sky,” he said.
GLORY FACADE: Residents are fighting the church’s plan to build a large flight of steps and a square that would entail destroying up to two blocks of homes Barcelona’s eternally unfinished Basilica de la Sagrada Familia has grown to become the world’s tallest church, but a conflict with residents threatens to delay the finish date for the monument designed more than 140 years ago. Swathed in scaffolding on a platform 54m above the ground, an enormous stone slab is being prepared to complete the cross of the central Jesus Christ tower. A huge yellow crane is to bring it up to the summit, which will stand at 172.5m and has snatched the record as the world’s tallest church from Germany’s Ulm Minster. The basilica’s peak will deliberately fall short of the
FRAYED: Strains between the US-European ties have ruptured allies’ trust in Washington, but with time, that could be rebuilt, the Michigan governor said China is providing crucial support for Russia’s aggression in Ukraine and could end the war with a phone call, US Ambassador to NATO Matthew Whitaker said. “China could call [Russian President] Vladimir Putin and end this war tomorrow and cut off his dual-purpose technologies that they’re selling,” Whitaker said during a Friday panel at the Munich Security Conference. “China could stop buying Russian oil and gas.” “You know, this war is being completely enabled by China,” the US envoy added. Beijing and Moscow have forged an even tighter partnership since the start of the war, and Russia relies on China for critical parts
Two sitting Philippine senators have been identified as “coperpetrators” in former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s crimes against humanity trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC), documents released by prosecutors showed. Philippine senators Ronald Dela Rosa and Christopher Go are among eight current and former officials named in a document dated Feb. 13 and posted to the court’s Web site. ICC prosecutors have charged Duterte with three counts of crimes against humanity, alleging his involvement in at least 76 murders as part of his “war on drugs.” “Duterte and his coperpetrators shared a common plan or agreement to ‘neutralize’ alleged criminals in the Philippines
Venezuelan Nobel peace laureate Maria Corina Machado yesterday said that armed men “kidnapped” a close ally shortly after his release by authorities, following former Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro’s capture. The country’s Public Prosecutor’s Office confirmed later yesterday that former National Assembly vice president Juan Pablo Guanipa, 61, was again taken into custody and was to be put under house arrest, arguing that he violated the conditions of his release. Guanipa would be placed under house arrest “in order to safeguard the criminal process,” the office said in a statement. The conditions of Guanipa’s release have yet to be made public. Machado claimed that