Former CIA director John Brennan on Sunday said that he is considering taking legal action to try to prevent US President Donald Trump from stripping other current and former officials’ security clearances.
Speaking on NBC television’s Meet the Press, Brennan said he has been contacted by a number of lawyers about the possibility of an injunction in the wake of Trump’s move to revoke his clearance and threaten nine others who have been critical of the president or are connected to the Russia probe.
“If my clearances and my reputation as I’m being pulled through the mud now, if that’s the price we’re going to pay to prevent Donald Trump from doing this against other people, to me it’s a small price to pay,” Brennan said. “So I am going to do whatever I can personally to try to prevent these abuses in the future. And if it means going to court, I will do that.”
Brennan, who served in former US president Barack Obama’s administration, said that while he will fight on behalf of his former CIA colleagues, it is also up to Congress to put aside politics and step in.
“This is the time that your country is going to rely on you, not to do what is best for your party but what is best for the country,” he said.
Trump last week yanked Brennan’s security clearance, saying he felt he had to do “something” about the “rigged” probe of Russian election interference. He has said he might do the same for nine others.
An executive order signed in 1995 by then US-president Bill Clinton lays out the process for approving security clearances and describes a detailed revocation and appeal procedure.
Former Obama-era CIA director Leon Panetta, who also served as defense secretary, on Sunday said that Trump must abide by the executive order unless he decides to change or cancel it.
Speaking on CBS television’s Face the Nation, he said Trump’s decision to revoke Brennan’s clearance raises questions about whether he followed due process.
Brennan’s legal warning came as other officials joined the growing chorus of critics — now more than 75 intelligence officials — denouncing Trump’s security clearance threats, saying they have a right to express their views on national security issues without fear of punishment.
Retired navy admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under then-US president George W. Bush and Obama, likened it to former US president Richard Nixon’s use of a political enemies list.
Mullen told Fox News Sunday’ that while he does not agree with Brennan’s decision to criticize the president, the former CIA director has the right to freedom of speech unless he is revealing classified information.
“It immediately brings back the whole concept of the enemies list, and even before that, in the early ‘50s, the McCarthy era, where the administration starts putting together lists of individuals that don’t agree with them and that historically, obviously, has proven incredibly problematic for the country,” Mullen said.
US Senator Ron Johnson, Republican, agreed with Trump that Brennan’s comments “really did cross a line.”
However, rather than pulling officials’ security clearances, Trump should avoid politicizing the issue and simply deny them access to classified material, he said.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies