Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday warned the armed forces in his crisis-hit country against “fissures” in their ranks, ahead of war games seen as a show of strength after US President Donald Trump’s threat of military action.
Maduro launched the warning in a speech to his top military leadership, including Venezuelan Minister of Defense General Vladimir Padrino and Commander of Operational Strategy General Remigio Ceballos, two days before the drills begin today.
“We must be clear, especially for the youth in the military, that we must close ranks within the homeland — that this is no time for any fissures and that those with doubts should leave the armed forces immediately,” Maduro said.
“You are with Trump and the imperialists, or you are with the Bolivarian national armed forces and the homeland,” he added. “Never before has Venezuela been threatened in such a way.”
Maduro has faced months of deadly mass protests by opponents who blame him for an economic crisis and are demanding elections to replace him.
His main source of support is the military.
Venezuela’s opposition has repeatedly urged the military to abandon Maduro, so far to no avail.
He has only faced low-level dissent, such as from the two rebel officers who staged a raid on an army base this month.
Maduro urged the military to “be prepared to fight fiercely ... in the face of an eventual” US invasion.
“They treat us as a dictatorship,” the embattled Venezuelan president said.
Since Trump’s threat, US Vice President Mike Pence sought to soften the message, saying during a visit to Latin America that he was sure democracy could be restored in Venezuela through economic and diplomatic pressure.
In another move made with an eye on Washington, Maduro announced he had moved Venezuelan Minister of Oil oil Nelson Martinez over to run the state oil giant PDVSA — and brought the company’s boss Eulogio Del Pino over to be his oil minister.
Maduro told the military leaders that in the face of possible future added US sanctions on Venezuela, “I decided to do some recasting ... we have to prepare ourselves.”
He said that Del Pino, who has been at the helm of PDVSA since 2014, was the architect of agreements between OPEC and non-OPEC members to boost flagging crude prices.
As for Martinez, who took over the oil ministry in January, Maduro said he would work to increase Chinese, Russian, Indian and Malaysian investments in PDVSA’s various projects.
“We are in a moment of flexibility to face the economic war,” Maduro said.
So far, the US has applied economic sanctions directly targeting Maduro, who says the economic collapse that has dragged his country into crisis is a US-backed conspiracy.
He has accused Washington of preparing fresh economic sanctions and a “naval blockade” to stifle oil exports, which account for nearly all of Venezuela’s hard currency reserves.
The fall in world crude prices has left Venezuela — which has the largest proven oil reserves in the world — short of US dollars for vital imports. The country is suffering from shortages of basic goods and medicines.
Earlier this month, PDVSA reported a sharp 33.5 percent drop in revenues for this year, as compared with the previous year.
The average price of a barrel of Venezuelan crude declined 21 percent to US$35.15 this year, down from US$44.65 in 2015, it said.
The opposition blames Maduro’s economic management for the crisis, and his critics accuse him of clinging to power by hijacking state institutions, such as by installing a new constituent assembly packed with loyalists.
Clashes between police and anti-government protesters this year have left 125 people dead, according to prosecutors.
Also on Thursday, Venezuela took two Colombian television networks off the air — Caracol Television and RCN.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable