An Australian Muslim council has called for taxpayer-funded “safe spaces,” so young Muslims can express “inflammatory” views without fear in a move slammed yesterday as troubling and wrong.
News of the request comes just days after a fatal shootout in Melbourne claimed by the Islamic State group, which is being treated as a terrorist incident.
In a submission to a parliamentary inquiry into freedom of religion, the Islamic Council of Victoria demanded funding for federal counterterrorism and anti-extremism programs be diverted to create the refuges.
“Existing ... funding re-allocated to create safe spaces urgently needed by Muslim youth to meet and talk about a range of issues in emotional terms,” it said. “[A space] where they can be frank and even use words, which in a public space would sound inflammatory.”
Victoria State Premier Daniel Andrews said he was “very troubled” by any suggestion for safe spaces where Muslim youth “could be radical.”
“There is no safe way to rail against the West,” he told reporters. “There is no safe way to rail against the values that we hold dear.”
“I am very troubled by the suggestion that we might have a space where people could be radical as part of a deradicalization program. That makes no sense to me whatsoever,” Andrews said, adding that he ruled out any funding for such an initiative.
The council argued in its submission that the rise of right-wing extremist political rhetoric had created “a culture of surveillance for our families.”
“Muslim youth especially are watched everywhere, every day, and this 24/7 surveillance is becoming internalized and leading to serious mental health issues for many Muslims and increasing family tensions,” it said.
The council added that words were frequently seen as “more of a crime than actions” and this limited young people’s freedom “to express themselves in ways that do not apply to non-Islamic faith youth.”
A man of Somali background on Tuesday was killed in a gun battle with police in Melbourne when he opened fire following an hour-long standoff after taking a female escort hostage.
It is alleged that the 29-year-old man, named Yacqub Khayre, who is also linked to a 2009 terror plot targeting an Australian army barracks, had first murdered a Chinese-born Australian man.
Australian officials have grown increasingly concerned over the threat of extremist attacks and have prevented 12 on home soil since the threat level was raised in September 2014.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around