Wed, May 03, 2017 - Page 6 News List

Red Bull heir flew to Singapore before court date: Thailand


Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya, whose grandfather cofounded energy drink company Red Bull, walks to get in a car as he leaves a house in London on April 15.

Photo: AP

Thai immigration authorities said the heir to the Red Bull energy drink fortune who is wanted on deadly hit-and-run charges flew to Singapore two days before he was due to appear before prosecutors.

Airport authorities in Singapore yesterday confirmed his private plane is still there.

When he left Bangkok, Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya, 32, was not a fugitive, but on Friday, authorities issued an arrest warrant and notified Interpol that he is wanted on charges of causing death by reckless driving and hit and run.

Thai police said they do not know if he has left Singapore, and Thailand’s foreign minister said he has not revoked Vorayuth’s passport, which means he could still travel elsewhere internationally.

The arrest warrant came almost five years after Vorayuth allegedly left a motorcycle police officer dead after crashing into him with his Ferrari. His family, half-owners of the Red Bull empire, has an estimated wealth of more than US$20 billion.

Thai Immigration Bureau Lieutenant General Nathatorn Prousoontor said that Vorayuth left Thailand at 3pm on a private jet on Tuesday last week.

He left just weeks after an Associated Press investigation found he had been enjoying his family’s jet-set life ever since the 2012 accident and days before he was due in court.

When approached a few weeks ago outside a family-owned home in London, Vorayuth refused to comment. Earlier this year AP watched him and his family enjoying a US$1,000-a-night vacation in Laos, and saw social media postings of him snowboarding in Japan, attending Grand Prix races with Red Bull and visiting beach resorts in Southeast Asia.

All that time he has been repeatedly telling prosecutors, through his attorney, that he was sick or out of the country on business when called in to face charges.

Nathatorn said Vorayuth was allowed to fly out last week because the trip came before the arrest warrant was issued.

“The prosecutors are handling the case and there was no request to ban his traveling to us,” he said. “We only have been informed that the arrest warrant was issued on Friday, April 28, which is after he had left the country.”

Although Singapore has no extradition agreement with Thailand, Interpol officials said police informally can arrange through other means to apprehend him there.

Singapore police did not respond with comment immediately.

Friends and family postings on social media show Vorayuth has been in Singapore every year since the accident, often at Formula 1 races, but also celebrating family birthdays and holidays.

This story has been viewed 2400 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top