Nepal is urging climbers on Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak, to help remove garbage from a camp abandoned two years ago after an earthquake triggered avalanches killing 18 people, as officials prepare to handle a rush of climbers.
Tourism and mountain climbing are the main sources of income for the Himalayan nation and make up 4 percent of its economy. Climbing is recovering from a series of earthquakes in 2015 that killed 9,000 people.
Ten canvas bags, each capable of holding 80kg of garbage, are to be placed at the ruined site of South Base Camp in Nepal for climbers to deposit garbage they have retrieved, Nepalese Department of Tourism official Durga Dutta Dhakal said.
“This way we hope to bring down the trash without any extra cost, using helicopters that return empty after dumping climbing ropes at the high camp,” he said.
The helicopters operate during the climbing season that typically runs from March to May to dump climbing ropes.
Sherpas would be paid to pick up the garbage, said veteran climber Russell Brice, a New Zealander who runs the Himalayan Experience guiding company.
“We will pay [US]$2 for each kilo of trash the sherpas bring down,” Brice said.
Mountaineers have removed more than 16 tonnes of garbage from Everest in the past, but there are no estimates of how much still litters the mountain.
South Base Camp, 6,400m above sea level, is above the treacherous Khumbu Icefall known for crevasses and avalanches, and is a major camping site for climbers of Mount Everest and Lhotse, the world’s fourth-highest peak.
More than 600 people scaled the 8,850m Everest summit last year from the Nepalese and Chinese sides.
Hiking officials expect the number to swell this season as many mountaineers, whose US$11,000 per-person permits received two-year extensions after the quake, are expected to return.
A group of hiking companies that sponsor climbers said it was trying to boost coordination between teams at high camps to avoid long lines of climbers forming in the mountain’s death zone.
“This will reduce crowding, minimize risks and improve safety,” Expedition Operator’s Association-Nepal president Dambar Parajuli said.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference