Tue, Aug 02, 2016 - Page 7 News List

Ferry evacuated after mystery underwater explosion

AFP, MARSEILLE, France

A passenger ferry docked in the southern French port of Marseille was evacuated on Sunday after an explosion was felt on board, with authorities investigating if it was caused by an old wartime bomb.

France has been on high alert following the July 14 Bastille Day truck attack in Nice which killed 84 and the Muslim militant murder of a priest on Tuesday last week.

All the passengers had already disembarked after their voyage from Corsica and the blast did not cause any damage to the ship or dock, officials said.

“The Jean Nicoli of the shipping company Corsica Linea had completed its disembarking operations after coming from Porto Vecchio when what appears to be an underwater explosion shook the ship,” the Marseille port authority said in a statement. “The ship’s captain immediately implemented security procedures and suspended the operation of embarking passengers for the next destination of Porto Torres in Sardinia.”

Marseille deputy prosecutor Jean-Jacques Fagni told reporters that the explosion “very fortunately was without any consequences, neither to property nor person.”

The port authority said only crew were on board at the time and all were immediately evacuated.

“I was in the cabin, and there was noise: ‘boom,’” and “it went ‘boom’ and we felt like something moving up and down,” two maintenance workers said.

An investigation was under way to determine the cause of the explosion.

The magistrate had initially said it appeared to be caused by an old explosive device on the seabed.

However, dives conducted during the afternoon did not seem to support this hypothesis, according to a source familiar with the incident.

“There was something, for sure, but what?” the source said.

The prosecutor said on Sunday night: “It is still too early to say what it is or what it is not,” adding that investigators had not ruled out it being caused by an old bomb.

Marseille police commissioner Laurent Nunez said “security measures” had been taken, including inspections of other quays, following the incident.

After “removing any doubts” he allowed the ship to depart on Sunday night for Sardinia, its original destination, he said.

There are numerous World War II munitions in the sea and on land around Marseille, which was the scene of a major battle.

In January divers found 50 unexploded shells off the port.

This story has been viewed 1728 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top