The husband of an Iranian-British charity worker who has been held without charge in Iran since April on Friday called for her release at a rally outside the Iranian embassy in London.
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 37, was arrested at Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport on April 3 as she prepared to return to Britain with the couple’s daughter, Gabriella, after visiting family in Iran, Richard Ratcliffe said.
Gabriella, who yesterday turned two years old, was born in Britain and has a British passport, which was confiscated by the Iranian authorities, leaving her stranded with her grandparents in Iran.
Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who spent the first 45 days in solitary confinement, was later transferred to Karman Prison, 1,000km from Tehran, although Ratcliffe said the family had not received “any news since Sunday [last week].”
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it has raised the case “repeatedly and at the highest levels,” and would continue to do so at “every available opportunity.”
British Minister for the Middle East and North Africa Tobias Ellwood had met the family to reassure them that diplomats would “continue to do all we can on this case,” a ministry spokesman said.
Zaghari-Ratcliffe works for the Thomson Reuters Foundation, a charity organization coordinating training programs for journalists around the world.
“She has nothing to do with Iran in her work and the foundation does not work with Iran anyway, so we have no idea why she has been detained for more than two months, first in isolation and then in a common cell,” Thomson Reuters Foundation chief executive officer Monique Villa said. “Now we do not know, because she seems to have disappeared from where she was.”
Ratcliffe led the celebrations for his daughter’s birthday, talking to her on Skype, leading a mass singalong of Happy Birthday and placing a giant card and balloons on the steps of the embassy. The case of 76-year-old Iranian-British man Kamal Foroughi was also brought up at the rally by his son, Kamran.
Foroughi was arrested in 2011 and sentenced to eight years in prison on spying charges, having spent two years in detention without charge.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500